I was inspired to make this Pumpkin Donut Recipe because I wanted a healthier and easier way to enjoy donuts. The donuts have more of a soft cake-like consistency and are full of pumpkin goodness. Best of all, they cook up in just 20 minutes!
⭐Why You'll Love This Recipe
These donuts take a little over 30 minutes from prep to done, so you don't have to wait long to enjoy some warm, perfectly spiced donuts. It has all of your favorite fall flavors such as pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon.
📋Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
STEP 2: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, applesauce, pumpkin, brown and granulated sugar, salt, vanilla, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice until well blended.
STEP 3: Add flour to the wet ingredients and stir the batter until the wet and dry ingredients are just moistened.
STEP 4: Spray a donut pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the donut pan, filling about ¾ of the way.
STEP 5: Bake in a 350-degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Test with a fork or toothpick and remove the donuts from the oven when the fork comes out clean. When the donuts come out of the oven, remove them from the pan and let them cool a bit on a wire rack.
STEP 6: Combine 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar with a dash of cinnamon and a dash of pumpkin pie spice on a shallow plate. Dip both sides of the still-warm, but not hot donuts in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
This pumpkin donut recipe is great to make with kids. It is a wonderful afternoon snack on a cool Fall day. Or enjoy pumpkin donuts like I do, by a roaring fire with a good book and a cup of tea. You'll love the flavor of these pumpkin spice donuts.
Tip 1: When you remove the donuts from the oven, allow them to cool a bit on a wire rack. You don't want them to be completely cooled though, as the cinnamon sugar topping sticks best when the donut is a bit warm.
Tip 2: Store donuts at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
It is not. Pureed pumpkin is simply pumpkin while pumpkin pie filling includes other ingredients such as spices and sugar. You will want to be sure to use pumpkin pie puree for this recipe.
You do not need a donut cutter. This is a wet dough that will be baked in doughnut pans.
These donuts are also delicious with a maple glaze. This is my favorite maple glaze recipe. It uses real maple syrup.
🍩Related Donut Recipes
🌟If you try this recipe, leave a star rating below or a review in the comment section. Be sure to sign up for my newsletter to get my latest recipes!
Pumpkin Donut Recipe
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of applesauce to cut some fat - you can also skip it and use ½ cup of oil instead of ¼ cup
- 1 can of pureed pumpkin
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ¾ cups of flour
- For sugar topping
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, oil, applesauce, pumpkin, brown and granulated sugar, salt, vanilla, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice until well blended.
- Pour into donut pan, filling about ¾ of the way.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Test with a fork or toothpick and remove donuts from oven when fork comes out clean.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar with a dash of cinnamon and a dash of pumpkin pie spice in a shallow plate. When the donuts come out of the oven, remove them from the pan and dip both sides in the sugar mixture.