Is there anything more fun than hanging with family and friends before the game or big race and enjoying some good, but not good-for-you food? Let's face it, tailgating food does not have the best reputation. Since my husband and I have been trying to eat healthier, I was determined to create a heart healthy tailgating recipe. One of my favorite tailgating meals is chili, but I know it's not the healthiest thing you can eat. I decided I could make a few simple swaps to this tailgating recipe to make it a heart healthy recipe.
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ small red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium red pepper chopped
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 1.25 lb ground turkey 93% lean
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes 28 oz each
- 1 can of red kidney beans 15 oz
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup Shredded cheddar for garnish
- Brown the package of ground turkey on the stove.
- Add olive oil to crock pot. Then add chopped garlic, onion, red and green peppers.
- Add red kidney beans, ground turkey, and crushed tomatoes to the ingredients in the crock pot.
- Add the seasonings and brown sugar blend.
- Stir the ingredients and cover the crock pot.
- Turn on and cook on high setting for 4 hours or low setting for 8 hours.
- When the chili is done cooking, let it sit for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Sprinkle on some of the shredded cheese before serving.