I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias and their client.I was excited to find out that the Save Mart 350 Race would be taking place at The Raceway in Sonoma, practically in my backyard. It got me to thinking about tailgating. Is there anything more fun than hanging with family and friends before the game or big race and enjoying some good, but not good-for-you food? Let’s face it, tailgating food does not have the best reputation. Since my husband and I have been trying to eat healthier, I was determined to create a heart healthy tailgating recipe perfect for the big race. One of my favorite tailgating meals is chili, but I know it’s not the healthiest thing you can eat. I decided I could make a few simple swaps to this tailgating recipe to make it a heart healthy recipe.
I headed to Lucky Supermarket to pick up my ingredients and saw that they had a great deal on race tickets. I will have to mention it to my husband!
Heart Healthy Recipe: Tailgating Chili
Prep time: 20 minutes and then 4-8 hours cook time depending on slow cooker setting
Yield: 8 cups of chili
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 small red onion, chopped
2 cloves of chopped garlic
1 medium red pepper chopped
1 medium green pepper chopped
1 package of ground turkey
2 cans of crushed tomatoes (28 oz each)
1 can of red kidney beans (15 oz)
2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons of Splenda brown sugar blend
2 tablespoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
Shredded cheddar for garnish
1. Brown the package of ground turkey on the stove.
2. Add olive oil to crock pot. Then add chopped garlic, onion, red and green peppers.
3. Add red kidney beans, ground turkey, and crushed tomatoes to the ingredients in the crock pot.
4. Add the seasonings and brown sugar blend.
5. Stir the ingredients and cover the crock pot.
6. Turn on and cook on high setting for 4 hours or low setting for 8 hours.
7. When the chili is done cooking, let it sit for a few minutes until it thickens.
8. Sprinkle on some of the shredded cheese before serving.
9. Serve to your tailgating friends and enjoy the race!