Do you love chili? Do you love macaroni and cheese? If so, I am about to make you very happy. Why not combine these two great meals into one awesome casserole? This Chili Macaroni Casserole is the ultimate in comfort food. It is meaty, cheesy and delicious. The kind of meal your family will love on a cold night.
Why you need to make this chili macaroni casserole
- Flavorful - smoky and cheesy.
- Filling - this hearty meal will keep you satisfied.
- Family friendly - has a taste the whole family will love! The cheesy pasta reminds kids of mac and cheese while the ground beef adds protein.
- ground beef
- chopped onion
- minced garlic
- elbow macaroni
- tomato paste
- diced tomatoes
- diced chiles
- kidney beans
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheddar/jack cheese mix
How to make
Before you start preparing this chili mac casserole, you'll want to preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Cook macaroni according to package directions.
Next, cook ground beef, onion and garlic in a large and deep skillet over medium heat until beef has browned. Drain.
Add tomato paste, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, diced green chilies, cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper to the skillet. Stir to get all of these ingredients thoroughly combined.
Now it's time to add the cooked pasta and one cup of shredded cheese to the skillet and stir to distribute evenly.
Place the mixture in a greased 2.5 to 3 quart casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
Now it's time to remove the chili mac and cheese casserole from the oven and top it with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Then place the casserole back in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
If you are a fan of ooey gooey cheesy dishes, than this is for you!
This chili mac casserole recipe is perfect for feeding a hungry family. It is hearty and filling and it is one recipe your family will ask for again and again!
Chili Macaroni Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Cook beef, onion and garlic in a skillet over medium heat until beef has browned. Drain.
- Add to skillet: tomato paste, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, diced green chilies, cumin, chili powder, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked pasta and one cup of shredded cheese to the skillet and stir to distribute evenly.
- Place the mixture in a greased 3 quart casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Remove casserole from oven and top with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Place the casserole back in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
Add some cayenne pepper or diced jalapenos.
Yes, you can leave out the meat and add one more can of kidney beans.
It will work well with ground chicken or turkey.
Help with meal planning
Have you tried meal planning? While I love the results of not having to worry what’s for dinner, it can be time consuming. But when you sign up for Eat At Home Meal Plans you get access to 4 separate meal plans each month (Traditional, Wholesome Traditional, Slow Cooker, and No Flour/No Sugar). Just print the plans, color-coded grocery lists, and recipes you want for the month. Don’t worry, with so many options, even picky eaters will find something they love.
When dinner time rolls around, make that night’s recipe (choices include make-ahead, freezer meals, slow-cooker recipes, and other time-saving strategies) and you are ready to go.
You are a busy mama and I know you have more important things to do than meal planning. Let someone else do it for you with Eat At Home Meal Plans. Monthly, quarterly and annual plans are available.