This Hash Brown Casserole with Corn Flakes is one my most popular dishes and with good reason. Shredded hash browns, cream of chicken soup, sour cream and shredded cheese are topped with buttery corn flakes to make a dish that is the ultimate comfort food. Try this or any of our 10 Simple Casserole Recipes and tell me what you think.
This recipe was inspired by my Cheesy HashBrown Casserole which is great to try if you want another variation on this dish. Cracker Barrel does an amazing hash brown casserole that also inspired me. You may have also heard this dish referred to as funeral potatoes since it is a dish people will often bring over after a funeral.
Why this Hash Brown Casserole is awesome
- Great for Sunday dinner or even holiday meals
- The star of many potlucks
- Works great for breakfast, brunch or as a side dish at dinner.
- hash brown potatoes - shredded work best for this recipe
- cream of chicken soup - adds a delightful creaminess and texture
- sour cream - helps the other ingredients to really meld together
- shredded cheddar cheese - you can also use a cheddar jack mix
- onion - chopped. I used white onion
- black pepper
- butter - make the cornflakes tasty and crunchy
- crushed corn flakes - gives a hint of sweetness and crunch
To make this cheesy hash brown casserole with corn flakes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine thawed hash brown potatoes, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, shredded cheddar, chopped onions and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Put the cornflakes and butter aside for the topping.
Stir well until all the ingredients and cheesy potatoes are thoroughly combined.
Spread Hash Brown Casserole mixture in a greased 13 x 9 baking dish. I love this Anchor Hocking Bake and Take set. It makes it so easy to bring this casserole to a gathering. If you are making this the day before, you can cover it and put it in the refrigerator at this point, and add the cornflakes and butter in the morning.
If you are making this recipe for hash brown casserole to use right away, crush 2 cups of cornflakes and sprinkle them over the casserole. Melt ¼ cup of butter in the microwave and evenly pour over corn flake mixture to make buttery corn flakes.
Cover the hashbrown casserole recipe with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 minutes. Serve immediately. If you have any leftovers (you probably won't) it will keep well in the refrigerator for a few days.
This is one of my favorite potato recipes and makes the perfect side dish or breakfast. If you are a fan of food that sweet and salty, these cheesy hash browns are a winner!
I love meal planning and meals you can make ahead of time. I use Eat At Home Meal Plans to free up time and make yummy meals my family loves.
Hash Brown Casserole with Corn Flakes
- 2 pounds shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
- 1 cream of chicken soup 10.75 oz
- 8 oz sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or cheddar jack mix
- ½ cup onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
For the topping
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 cups cornflakes crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the ingredients except for the cornflakes and butter in a large bowl. Put the cornflakes and butter aside for the topping.
- Spread mixture in a greased 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Crush 2 cups of cornflakes and sprinkle them over the casserole. Melt ¼ cup of butter in the microwave and evenly pour over corn flake mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 minutes. Serve immediately.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
You can store this in the casserole dish in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for up to 5 days. You can reheat this in the microwave, and pop it in the toaster oven to broil for a few minutes so the corn flakes can get crispy.
Yes! You can mix up all the ingredients and place them in the casserole pan covered until the next morning. Add the cornflakes and butter in the morning. Then just bake according to instructions. I often do this on Christmas Eve when I am making them for the next day.
Whole Cajun Roast Chicken - makes a flavorful chicken that everyone loves. It is just as good as anything you'd buy in a store.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich - You can make this crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe at home. It is so easy and can be customized in any way you want!