Next time you have a craving for a chicken sandwich, you don't need to head to a fast food restaurant. You can make this crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe at home. It is so easy and can be customized in any way you want!
Why this buttermilk fried chicken sandwich recipe is awesome
- Buttermilk makes the chicken super tender
- Create a restaurant sandwich at home
- Lots of ways to level up this sandwich
- Chicken breasts
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
How to make a buttermilk chicken sandwich
Take the chicken breasts and use a meat tenderizer to flatten the breast. Use a knife to cut the chicken breast to fit on a bun.
What does buttermilk do for chicken?
The secret to a crispy fried chicken sandwich is to soak the chicken in buttermilk. Buttermilk tenderizes the chicken without toughening it up. For this fried chicken sandwich, you will need to soak the chicken breasts in a bowl of buttermilk for 30 minutes. Next, dredge the chicken breasts in a shallow dish of flour. This is the key to a crispy buttermilk chicken sandwich.
Now dip the chicken breasts in the whisk beaten eggs and dredge through the flour mixture a second time.
Heat oil in a frying skillet on medium heat. Click here to buy a skillet similar to what I use. Once the oil is heated, carefully place the chicken breasts in the skillet using a pair of tongs like these. Cook until golden brown on each side and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Purchase a meat thermometer here to check the temperature.
When the chicken is ready, place it on toasted sliced brioche buns or rolls. Enjoy this crispy chicken sandwich recipe!
You have more important things to do than spend hours meal planning. I let Eat At Home Meal Plans take care of meal planning for me and it has made my life so much simpler.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Take the chicken breasts and use a meat mallet to flatten the breast. Use a knife to cut the chicken to fit on a bun.
- Soak the chicken breasts in buttermilk for 30 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to the flour and mix.
- Dredge the chicken breast in flour.
- Dip the chicken breasts in the beaten eggs.
- Then dredge in flour a second time.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Once heated, cook chicken breast in the oil until golden brown on each side & the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Toss on a bun. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
You can use any kind of bun that you would use for a burger or pulled pork, but I think a Kaiser, brioche or pretzel roll work best.
At this point you can really personalize your buttermilk chicken sandwich. You can set up a topping bar with lettuce, mayo, pickle slices, sliced onions, tomatoes etc...
You can substitute plain yogurt for the buttermilk.