I am a lover of delicious recipes and breakfast casseroles. I admit it. Every time I go to a meeting or potluck, I bring one of these 20 Make Ahead Breakfasts. I love how you can start with a few basic ingredients and just swap items in and out to come up with a whole new dish. This Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole (funeral potatoes) is a family favorite and will feed a crowd.
Why this hashbrown casserole recipe is awesome
- Cheesy flavor
- Versatile recipe that can used for breakfast, brunch or dinner
- Perfect to bring to a potluck
- hash brown patties
- milk (I used 2 %, but you can use whatever you have on hand)
- breakfast sausage
- shredded cheddar cheese (I used a cheddar/jack mix)
- Salt and pepper to taste
This cheesy hash brown casserole is made in a 9 x 13 baking dish. I often use this baking dish for making my casseroles. It is very versatile and you can use it for a variety of meals.
How to make cheesy hashbrown casserole
Before you start to assemble the ingredients, preheat your oven to 375 degrees, if you plan to make the casserole right away.
You will start the casserole with a layer of hash browns.
Cover the hash browns with half of the crumbled sausage. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese on top.
In a large bowl, stir the eggs and milk and pour the entire mixture evenly over the sausage, cheese and hash browns. Then, add the remainder of the crumbled sausage to the top of the eggs.
Cover with the remainder of the cheese. Add some salt and pepper. I found that the cheese and sausage provided the saltiness for this dish, so I just used a few sprinkles of salt.
At this point you can cover the casserole and refrigerate it overnight, if you plan to eat it in the morning. If you are cooking it right away or refrigerating overnight, when it is ready to bake, pop it in the oven for 40 minutes. Ours was cooked at the 37 minute mark, but oven cook times vary. When it is done, the top will be slightly browned and the inside will feel firm when you poke it with a fork.
This cheesy hash brown casserole will make 8 nice sized servings. So, who's ready for breakfast?
Make meal time a breeze with Eat At Home Meal Plans. Check out why they are a huge time saver!
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- 8 hash brown patties
- 8 eggs
- 2 ½ cups 2% milk
- 12 oz crumbled breakfast sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheese I used a cheddar/jack mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Fry the hash browns according to package directions and lay them down on a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Cover the hash browns with 6 oz of crumbled sausage and 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Combine the 8 eggs and 2 ½ cups of 2% milk and pour the entire mixture evenly over the sausage, cheese and hash browns.
- Add the remainder of the crumbled sausage to the top of the eggs.
- Cover with the remainder of the cheese. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
You can store leftovers in the fridge in the baking dish covered with plastic wrap or foil. Use within 3 days.
No, this is a very versatile dish. You can serve it at brunch or even as a side at dinner. It makes a great side dish for Thanksgiving.
It is best to let the hash browns thaw before using.