If you have kids, macaroni and cheese is probably a staple. I know it is at our place. My kids can be picky eaters and macaroni and cheese is something they never balk at. But lets get real, it can get pretty boring, so I wanted to make my basic family friendly recipe a little different. In the past, we have used muffin tins to create Italian Meatloaf Cupcakes and Verde Chicken Enchilada Cups. I got out my trusty muffin tin again and made some delicious Mac and Cheese Muffins which were a hit with the entire family.
These mac and cheese muffins don’t require many ingredients. In fact, you will be using most of the ingredients you use for your standard macaroni and cheese. But you will need a muffin tin.
You will want to make sure you grease the muffin tin generously, as these little muffins can be tough to get out otherwise. I found the easiest way to get them out intact was to run a butter knife along the sides and then use a large spoon to scoop them out.
After you take the muffins out of the oven, let them cool for a few minutes in the pan.
It is great to make a batch of these and freeze what you don’t use. Then on those rushed days, you can just pop a few in the microwave.
Mac and Cheese Muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: pasta cooking time + 30 minutes for baking
Yield: 12 muffins
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups of shredded cheese and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I used a cheddar and jack blend)
- 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Pepper to taste
- Dash of garlic powder
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil a large pot of salted water and add the elbow macaroni. Boil according to package directions, then drain and return macaroni to pot with no heat.
- Stir in butter, beaten egg and sour cream.
- Add 2 cups of shredded cheese and milk and stir under low heat until the sauce starts to thicken a bit.
- Generously grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Scoop the macaroni evenly into each cup.
- Mix the reserved 1/2 cup of shredded cheese with 1/4 cup of bread crumbs and sprinkle over the muffins. Spray the top of the muffins with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes and let cool for a few minutes before removing from pan.
For more family friendly recipes check out: