I love meatloaf but my kids do not, so I had to think of way to make it fun for them. I wanted to keep it pretty simple, since I knew that the more ingredients I added, the more likely they were to turn up their noses at it. I think chopped peppers and garlic would work great in this meatloaf recipe if you are serving to more adventurous eaters. For kids who are less adventurous eaters, this Italian Meatloaf Cupcake Recipe is appealing and delicious. For more fun recipes you can make in a muffin tin, check out these Sausage Egg Muffins.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information please read my disclosure.
Italian Meatloaf Cupcake Recipe
One of the things my kids love most about these mini meatloaves is the face that they are topped with a mashed potato “frosting.” Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the ingredients together and scoop into a greased muffin tin. packing down and filling to the top.
Bake the meatloaf in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes (ours took 32 minutes) until the temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees.
To make the mashed potatoes for the meatloaf cupcake frosting, peel and cut 2 large potatoes and boil until they can be easily pierced with a fork. Drain and start mashing using a potato masher while adding 1/2 cup of milk, 5 tablespoons of butter and salt and pepper to taste. You will want to mash these up really well as you will be piping them out of a pastry bag for the frosting. If you have a mixer you can use that, but I didn’t feel like getting mine dirty so I just mashed them really well using my potato masher.
You will want to use the biggest tip you can for your pastry bag. Fill up the bag with the mashed potatoes and frost the meatloaf cupcake like you would a normal cupcake.
We had some of the meatloaf cupcakes leftover and I refrigerated them and heated them up the next day and they tasted just as good. My husband and I thought the Italian Meatloaf Cupcakes were delicious. The addition of the shredded mozzarella cheese just makes the meat so moist.
If you love cooking with your kids, you’ll enjoy kidstir. When you sign up for kidstir your child will receive a monthly kit that will provide fun food adventures for them. You’ll get tasty recipes and fun new cooking tools that will spark a love of cooking in kids. This is such a great way to create memories with kids in the kitchen
Italian Meatloaf Cupcake Recipe
- Ingredients for mini meatloaf:
- 1½ pound mix of ground beef and ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup of tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For mashed potato "frosting":
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to tatse
- Directions for mini meatloaf:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all the ingredients together and scoop into a greased muffin tin, filling to the top.
- Bake the meatloaf in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes until the temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from muffin tin and let cool while the mashed potatoes are prepared.
- Directions for mashed potato "frosting"
- Boil potatoes until they can be pierced with a fork.
- Drain and mash in a bowl while adding milk, butter, salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a pastry bag with the mashed potatoes, using the biggest tip you can for the pastry bag.
- Frost the meatloaf cupcake like you would a normal cupcake.
If you liked this Italian Meatloaf Cupcake Recipe you’ll love: