I love meatloaf but my kids do not, so I had to think of way to make it fun for them. I wanted to keep it pretty simple, since I knew that the more ingredients I added, the more likely they were to turn up their noses at it. I think chopped peppers and garlic would work great in this meatloaf recipe if you are serving to more adventurous eaters. For kids who are less adventurous eaters, this Italian Meatloaf Cupcake Recipe is appealing and delicious. For more fun recipes you can make in a muffin tin, check out these Sausage Egg Muffins.
Why this muffin tin meatloaf is awesome
- Kids love them since they look like cupcakes and topped with a mashed potato "frosting"
- A new way to enjoy the classic meatloaf
- Can make using ground turkey as well
- lean ground beef
- ground turkey
- shredded mozzarella
- grated Parmesan cheese
- tomato sauce
- basil (I used dried, but feel free to use fresh basil if you have it)
- Italian seasoning
- garlic powder
- black pepper
How to make Italian meatloaf muffins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 6 cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl Combine the ground beef, ground turkey, shredded mozzarella, grated Parmesan cheese, tomato sauce, eggs breadcrumbs, oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, black pepper and salt.
After the meatloaf ingredients have been mixed, scoop the meatloaf mixture into the muffin cups, packing down and filling to the top.
Place muffin pan in oven and bake the meatloaf at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes (ours took 32 minutes) until the temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees when measured with a meat thermometer.
Remove the mini loaves from the oven and pan, and let them cool for a few minutes.
To make the mashed potatoes for the meatloaf cupcake frosting, peel and cut 2 large potatoes and boil until they can be easily pierced with a fork.
Drain place potatoes in a large bowl and start mashing using a potato masher while adding ½ cup of milk, 5 tablespoons of butter and salt and pepper to taste.
You will want to mash these up really well as you will be piping them out of a pastry bag for the frosting.
You will want to use the biggest tip you can for your pastry bag. Fill up the bag with the mashed potatoes and frost the meatloaf cupcake like you would a normal cupcake.
My husband and I thought the Italian Meatloaf Cupcakes were delicious. The addition of the shredded mozzarella cheese just makes the mini meatloaf muffins so moist.
I love easy times like this when we can have a home-cooked meal. When I want to take the stress out of meal planning, I use Eat At Home Meal Plans.
Italian Meatloaf Cupcake Recipe
- Ingredients for mini meatloaf:
- 1 ½ pound mix ground beef and ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup of tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- For mashed potato "frosting":
- 2 large potatoes peeled and chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to tatse
- Directions for mini meatloaf:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all the ingredients together and scoop into a greased muffin tin, filling to the top.
- Bake the meatloaf in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes until the temperature of the meat reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove from muffin tin and let cool while the mashed potatoes are prepared.
- Directions for mashed potato "frosting"
- Boil potatoes until they can be pierced with a fork.
- Drain and mash in a bowl while adding milk, butter, salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a pastry bag with the mashed potatoes, using the biggest tip you can for the pastry bag.
- Frost the meatloaf cupcake like you would a normal cupcake.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
No. I just wanted to make it a little healthier. Feel free to only use ground beef or only ground turkey.
You can store these in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Yes, simply double the recipe and use a larger muffin pan.