Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and I can think of no better way to celebrate than with some sweets. High on my list of sweet treats is hot cocoa. But why have an ordinary cup of hot cocoa when you can have one made with a hot chocolate bomb? They are so fun to watch in action! I am sharing a recipe for Valentine’s Hot Chocolate Bombs that are super easy to make and sure to impress. Be sure to also check out our M&M Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe.
WHAT ARE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS?
Hot chocolate bombs are a cool way to make a cup of hot cocoa. They are basically large balls of hollow chocolate that have been filled with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows. To create a cup of hot chocolate with a hot chocolate bomb, you simply place the bomb in a mug and pour either warm milk or hot water over it. Then the fun starts. The chocolate will start to melt and open up and the powdered hot cocoa mix comes out, making a steaming and delicious cup of hot cocoa.
VALENTINE’S HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO MAKE VALENTINE’S HOT COCOA BOMBS?
- 12oz bag red candy melts
- Valentine’s Sprinkles
- 1 tablespoon hot chocolate per bomb
- Mini Marshmallows
- White cookie icing
- 6 Sphere Silicon Mold
HOW DO YOU MAKE VALENTINE’S HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS?
To make these hot cocoa bombs, you will be using candy melts, which I find easier to use than chocolate, since they don’t have to be tempered. Pour the candy melts into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds or until the melts have fully melted.
Using a spoon, spread the melted candy melts up the sides of a silicone mold until every bit of the round mold is covered. Let the molds sit for 5 minutes and then re-spread any of the candy that sank to the bottom of the molds.
Now it’s time to put the hot cocoa bomb together. To do this, you will want to melt the edges of the empty spheres a bit. Place a glass plate in the microwave for one minute. Remove the plate and immediately place each empty sphere on the hot plate, edge side down, to heat the chocolate edges. Then place each heated sphere on each filled sphere. You can use the tip of your finger to smooth the melted candy around the seam.
Use the white cookie icing to draw lines back and forth on top of the hot chocolate bomb. Then roll the ball in a bowl of Valentine’s sprinkles. The icing will act as a glue to hold on all the sprinkles.
When you are ready to serve a delicious drink, simply place one of the hot cocoa bombs in a mug and fill the mug with hot water or warm milk. Then watch as your yummy drink magically appears!
Aren’t these so festive? Celebrate Valentine’s day with someone you love and enjoy these Valentine’s Hot Chocolate Bombs.
Valentine’s Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Pour candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds or until melts have fully melted.
- Spread the candy melts up the sides of the mold until every bit of the mold is covered.
- Let the molds sit about 5 minutes & re-spread any of the candy melts that sank to the bottom of the molds.
- Place the molds in the refrigerator for about 30-45 minutes.
- Once set, carefully remove the candy melt spheres from the mold.
- Fill half of the spheres with the hot cocoa powder & marshmallows.
- Place a glass plate in the microwave for one minute.
- Remove the plate and immediately place each empty sphere on the hot place to heat the chocolate edges.
- Place each heated sphere on each filled sphere. You can use the tip of your finger to smooth the melted candy around the seam.
- Use the icing to draw lines back and forth on top of the bomb.
- Sprinkle the bomb. The icing will act as a glue.
DO YOU WANT TO COOK WITH YOUR KIDS?
If you love cooking with your kids, you’ll enjoy kidstir. When you sign up for kidstir your child will receive a monthly kit that will provide fun food adventures for them. Each month, you’ll get 3 tasty recipes with beautifully photographed and easy to understand directions. You’ll also get a kid friendly cooking tool that will spark a love of cooking in kids. Plus, there is a fun magazine with activities for kids to enjoy while the food is cooking. And much more! This is such a great way to create memories with kids in the kitchen, so get your little chef started today!
If you liked these Valentine’s Hot Chocolate Bombs, you’ll love: