Hot cocoa bombs are all the rage right now. Why, when you can just make some hot chocolate using a powder mix from a packet? Well, you could, but it totally wouldn't be as fun! Hot chocolate bombs can be pricey to buy, if you can find them, as most places are sold out. Luckily, I have an easy recipe for you to make Pink DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs at home. Don't forget to also check out our Valentine's Hot Chocolate Bombs.
Why you should make these hot cocoa bombs
Hot chocolate bombs are a fun way to enjoy hot cocoa. They are basically large balls of hollow chocolate that have been filled with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows. To enjoy them, you place the bomb in a mug and pour either warm milk or hot water over it. Then the magic starts. The chocolate starts to melt and the powdered hot cocoa mix comes out, making a steaming and delicious cup of hot chocolate.
- 12oz Bag Pink Candy Melts
- Pearl Sprinkles
- 1 tablespoon powdered hot chocolate mix Per Bomb
- Mini marshmallows
- 6 Sphere Silicone Mold
- Cookie icing
How to make DIY hot cocoa bombs
To make these, we will be using candy melts, which are easier than using chocolate, since they don't have to be tempered. Pour the candy melts into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds or until melts have fully melted.
Use a spoon to spread the candy melts up the sides of a silicone mold until every bit of the round mold is covered. Let the molds sit about 5 minutes and then re-spread any of the candy that sank to the bottom of the molds.
Place the molds in the refrigerator for about 30-45 minutes. Once they have set, carefully remove the candy melt spheres from the mold.
Fill half of the spheres with 1 tablespoon of the hot cocoa powder and 3-4 mini marshmallows.
Place a glass plate in the microwave for one minute. Remove the plate and immediately place each empty sphere on the hot plate edge side down, to heat the chocolate edges. Place each heated sphere on top of each filled sphere. You can use the tip of your finger to smooth the melted candy around the seam to make sure they are closed.
To make these hot chocolate balls more festive, you can add icing and sprinkles. Use the icing to draw lines back and forth on top of the bomb then sprinkle the pearl sprinkles onto the bomb. The icing will act as a glue.
To serve these hot cocoa bombs, simply warm up a cup of milk or water as you would when making a cup of traditional hot chocolate. Place the hot chocolate ball with marshmallows inside into a mug and pour the hot liquid over it. Then enjoy your delicious treat! My kids love these because watching them hatch is just so magical!
These DIY hot chocolate bombs make great gifts. Simply box them up and present to the lucky recipient!
Pink DIY Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Hot Cocoa Bomb Silicone Mold
- Pour candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds or until melts have fully melted.
- Spread the candy melts up the sides of the silicone mold until every bit of the mold is covered.
- Let the molds sit about 5 minutes & re-spread any of the candy melts that sank to the bottom of the molds.
- Place the molds in the refrigerator for about 30-45 minutes.
- Once set, carefully remove the candy melt spheres from the mold.
- Fill half of the spheres with the hot cocoa powder & marshmallows.
- Place a glass plate in the microwave for one minute.
- Remove the plate and immediately place each empty sphere on the hot plate, edges down, to heat the chocolate edges.
- Place each heated sphere on each filled sphere. You can use the tip of your finger to smooth the melted candy around the seam.
- When your cocoa bombs set, use the icing to draw lines back and forth on top of the bomb.
- Sprinkle the pearls onto the bomb. The candy melts will act as a glue.
Frequently asked questions
I will be honest, not as good, but the difference is negligible. To me it is worth it to use candy melts because they are easier to melt and come in awesome colors, like the pink used here.
You can use white chocolate candy melts with a touch of red food coloring to get the desired pink color.
Store these in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Looking for quality meat delivered to your door?
They deliver 100% grass-fed beef; free-range organic chicken; heritage-breed pork, wild-caught seafood, and more directly to your door. Butcher Box brings you the healthiest, highest quality meat while causing as little harm as they can to the environment. They work directly with a group of family farms to get you the best meat out there. You choose your box and delivery frequency and get free shipping.
You could go around town looking for the best deal, but the quality of the meats and the sourcing won’t be the same. Check it out here and see if it’s for you!