If you are on a Keto or low carb diet, then you may have heard of Keto Onion Bombs. Basically, you stuff a medium, hollowed out onion with a yummy mixture of beef and cheese. The meat turns out perfectly cooked and cheesy, while the onions are crisp and full of flavor. I have also made these keto onion bombs wrapped in bacon, so if you are a bacon lover, try that variety too! Be sure to also check out our Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl.
- ground beef
- Italian seasoning
- pork rinds
- Parmesan cheese
- Worcestershire sauce
- cheddar cheese
Why these keto stuffed onion bombs are awesome
- You can eat them and lose weight on a low carb diet
- Filled with flavorful beef and cheese
- Cooks up easily in the oven for less mess
How to make keto onion bombs
Before you prepare the onions, you'll want to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Slice off each end of the onion, peel it, and then remove the inner layers. (I found it easiest to do a criss-cross pattern with my knife and poke out each inner quarter of the onion.) Save the inner layers of the onion for something else. I used them for soup!
Repeat the same process with each onion, and place the onions in a casserole dish or a baking tray with a lip. Set aside the onions.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, Italian seasoning, pork rinds, Parmesan cheese and Worcestershire sauce. The egg is an optional binder, as the onion will hold the beef together if you choose not to incorporate it.
Press about one tablespoon of the meat mixture into each onion. You may need more depending on the size of your onions.
Press down with your fingers to compact the meat in the onion and create a well for the cheese.
Add a cheddar cheese cube into each onion well. You can also season with salt and pepper to taste if you wish.
Add some more of the meat mixture to the onion until it is filled nearly to the top.
Bake the onions for 30-45 minutes or until the temperature reaches 165f as measured with a meat thermometer. These bombs were cooked for 45 minutes, a perfect medium cook that allowed the cheese to melt.
These Keto Onion Bombs made a great low carb meal. They are cheesy and delicious and you'll love them if you are a fan of onion rings!
Keto Onion Bombs
- 4 medium-sized onions
- ½ lb ground beef or mixture of beef and pork
- 1 egg optional for binding
- Italian seasoning to taste
- ¼ cup pork rinds ground up
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- 2 oz cheese quartered - or more, as desired
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut off each end of the onion, peel it, and then remove the inner layers. (I found it easiest to do a criss-cross pattern with my knife and poke out each inner quarter of the onion.)
- Repeat with each onion and place in a casserole dish or baking sheet with a lip.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ground beef, Italian seasoning, pork rinds, Parmesan cheese and Worcestershire sauce.
- The egg is an optional binder, as the onion will keep the beef intact if you choose not to incorporate it.
- Press about one tablespoon of the meat mixture into each onion (the exact amount you use will depend on the size of your onions).
- Press down with your fingers to compact the meat, and then insert a cube of cheese.
- Top the cheese and fill the onion with the meat mixture.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until your desired level of doneness is achieved.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
Yes you can easy turn these into bacon bombs! Simply wrap raw slices of bacon around the onion and use toothpicks to secure the ends. Cook as directed.
You can serve them accompanied by barbecue sauce with a side salad.
I would bake them in something with a higher rim to keep the mess contained and avoid splashing of grease.
Get your own Keto Trackers
To make sticking to a keto diet easier, check out these Keto Weight Loss Tracker Printables. It is a 100 day Keto Challenge to keep you motivated and on track.
- Keto Crack Chicken in the Crock Pot
- Best Keto Recipes for Dinner
- Keto Instant Pot Egg Stuffed Peppers
Can I make these a couple hours ahead and put them in the fridge before popping them in the oven?
what a fab idea! I am totally making a vegetarian version of this!
I am not on the keto or low carb diet, so I've never heard of these!! They sound amazing!! I'll be making them this weekend!
These keto bombs look amazing! What a simple recipe, need to add this to my rotation!
Anita @ Daily Cooking Quest
Lovely idea stuffing the onions. This is a much more elegant and yummy way to serve meatballs.