If you are anything like me, you associate the smell and taste of gingerbread with the holidays. Baking up a batch of gingerbread cookies is a tradition in our house. This year, we decided to switch things up a bit and make a loaf of gingerbread with vanilla icing. This is so yummy and makes a wonderful gift for teachers or neighbors. Enjoy this easy Gingerbread Loaf Recipe with your family this holiday season. Be sure to also try our Recipe for Biscotti Bites..
Why this gingerbread loaf recipe is awesome
This is one my favorite quick bread recipes because of the gingerbread flavor combined with the vanilla icing. It is all of the flavors of Christmas in one delicious loaf!
- all purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- confectioners sugar
How to make a gingerbread loaf recipe with buttermilk
To make this easy gingerbread loaf, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
In a second bowl, whisk together the butter, molasses, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients slowly into the wet mixture, mixing thoroughly.
Pour the batter into a prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes.
Cool the bread in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.
How do I make vanilla icing?
Now that your gingerbread loaf is cooling, it is time to make the glaze. Combine the confectioner's sugar, milk and vanilla in a bowl.
Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake.
The icing will harden in a few minutes and then you can enjoy this wonderful gingerbread loaf recipe.
This loaf makes a great snack or dessert. It also makes a great gift for neighbors and teachers. Consider baking it in a ceramic loaf pan like this one which doubles as a gift after the gingerbread is eaten.
Gingerbread Loaf Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. (Flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice)
- In a second bowl, combine the wet ingredients. (Butter, molasses, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.)
- Combine the dry ingredients slowly into the wet ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Cool in the loaf pan for about 10 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.
- To make the glaze, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Drizzle the glaze over a cooled cake and enjoy!
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
You can store it in an airtight container on the counter for 3-4 days. If you would like to freeze this gingerbread loaf wrap in plastic wrap and place in a zip top bag. This gingerbread cake with icing can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Yes, you can make a delicious quick bread by frosting with cream cheese frosting and topping that with chopped walnuts and dried cranberries.