Hawaiian flavors are just perfect to enjoy in the summer! Maybe you can’t visit the islands, but you can bring the tastes to your home with these Instant Pot Hawaiian Meatballs! Your family will enjoy these Hawaiian meatballs and with your Instant Pot, the work you put into them will be so minimal. If you’re feeling super creative, set up a themed dinner with island decorations! For more fabulous meatball recipes, check out our Instant Pot Swedish Meatballs.
Why these Instant Pot meatballs are awesome
- Super easy thanks to frozen meatballs
- 10 minute cook time makes these perfect for busy days
- Can serve as an appetizer for a party or as a main dish for dinner
- apple juice
- pineapple juice
- fresh ginger
- soy sauce
- hoisin sauce
- brown sugar (may be replaced with honey)
- corn starch
- canned pineapple
- frozen beef meatballs
- sesame seeds for topping
How to make this Hawaiian meatballs recipe
Gather all of the ingredients. Place the steamer basket into an instant pot. Pour in 1 cup water.
Add the frozen meatballs, and place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to sealed.
Set the timer on the Instant Pot to 6 minutes. Once the Instant Pot warms up and stops counting and beeps, release the pressure by turning the valve.
Remove the cooked meatballs and place them into a bowl. Lift and drain the pot insert. Replace the pot insert back into the Instant Pot and add the meatballs back to the pot.
In a liquid measuring cup, add apple juice, pineapple juice, fresh ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Whisk all the ingredients together well.
Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add in the pineapple that is leftover from the can.
Pour the mixture in the measuring cup over the meatballs and stir until sauce thickens around the meatballs. Once it has thickened, turn off the Instant Pot.
You can serve the sweet and sour pineapple meatballs over rice and top the dish with sesame seeds.
Aloha! Enjoy your taste of the islands! If you are looking for other ways to make meal time easier, be sure to check out Eat At Home Meal Plans.
Instant Pot Hawaiian Meatballs
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 4 teaspoons garlic
- ¼ cup brown sugar may be replaced with honey
- 3 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 can pineapple; juice reserved
- 28 oz frozen beef meatballs
- 1 cup water
- sesame seeds for topping
- Place steamer basket into instant pot. Pour in 1 cup water. Add in meatballs and place lid on the instant pot. Set valve to sealed. Set timer to 6 minutes. Once the instant warms up and stops counting and beeps release the pressure by turning the valve.
- Remove meatballs to a bowl. Lift and drain pot insert. Replace pot insert back into the instant pot. Add meatballs back to the pot.
- In a glass liquid measuring cup, add apple juice, pineapple juice, fresh ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and corn starch. Whisk well.
- Set instant pot to saute mode. Add in pineapple from can but not the juice. Pour the mixture over the meatballs and stir until sauce thickens around the meatballs. Once thick turn off instant pot.
- Serve over rice topped with sesame seeds.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
Rice is the most popular side dish to serve with these meatballs. White or brown rice works well. Simply serve the meatballs on top of the rice. Hawaiian rolls make a great side for sweet and sour meatballs as well.
Sure! Feel free to use your favorite meatball recipe. I love this meatball recipe from I Heart Naptime. Be sure to brown the meatballs first using the saute setting on your Instant Pot.
Any variety works. They will take on the flavor of the sauce.
Cathleen @ A Taste of Madness
I love all of these recipes that you can make in the instant pot!! This one looks so easy, even I could do it 😉 Bookmarked to make this weekend 🙂
Nart at Cooking with Nart
Tried this and it was so delicious! Will be making it again!
Ooh! These look good! I love trying new instant pot recipes and have added this to my meal plan!
This recipe came together easily and everyone loved it. Thanks for a simple to follow recipe!
This is a super easy meatball recipe perfect for summer with the tropical flavors!