Treat your family to a flaky, delicious, and flavorful Apple Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Braid. This yummy treat is easy to prepare thanks to pre-made puff pastry, apple pie filling, and cream cheese.
⭐Why this recipe works
- An easy way to make an apple danish pastry.
- This is a very versatile recipe. You can substitute cherry pie filling, peach pie filling, or blueberry pie filling for the apple pie filling for a different flavor profile.
- Puff pastry sheet - This pastry is buttery and flaky and produces a delicious crust in a fraction of the time it would take you to make your own.
- Apple pie filling - Using apple pie filling is a great shortcut since it is already spiced and you don't have to peel your own apples.
- Cream cheese - Use softened cream cheese to make the spreading easier. To help it soften you can remove it from the wrapper and place the unwrapped cream cheese on a plate in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Egg - An egg wash gives this pastry braid its golden brown color.
- Flour - To help keep the puff pastry dough from sticking to the cutting board.
📋Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: Let puff pastry come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
STEP 2: Add flour to a cutting board. Roll the puff pastry sheet out to get the lines out.
STEP 3: Place the puff pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut lines on each side of the dough with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
STEP 4: Spread softened cream cheese down the middle of the dough.
STEP 5: Add the apple filling over the cream cheese filling.
STEP 6: Crisscross the strips of dough over the filling to make a braid and fold the top and bottom ends over.
STEP 7: Whisk an egg and brush the egg wash over the top of the dough.
STEP 8: Bake for 25 minutes until the crust turns golden brown in color.
Tip 1: Lining the baking sheet with parchment paper makes for easy cleanup.
Tip 2: Serve this warm with some vanilla ice cream on top for a decadent dessert.
You can certainly make your own glaze. Here is a great recipe for a powdered sugar glaze. If you are looking for an easy and yummy glaze, simply drizzle on some caramel syrup.
When this cools, you can wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
🍏Related Apple Recipes
🌟If you try this recipe, leave a star rating below or a review in the comment section. Be sure to sign up for my newsletter to get my latest recipes!
Apple Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Braid
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 5 oz canned apple pie filling
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Let puff pastry come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a cutting board or pastry board add flour. Roll the puff pastry sheet out to get the lines out.
- Place the puff pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet. With a knife or pizza cutter cut lines on each side of the dough.
- Spread softened cream cheese down the middle. Fill with apple pie filling. Criss cross the dough over the filling.
- Whisk an egg and brush over the top of the dough.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden light brown.
- Lining the baking sheet with parchment paper makes for easy cleanup.
- To soften the cream cheese: remove it from the wrapper and place the unwrapped cream cheese on a plate in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Serve this warm with vanilla ice cream on top for a decadent dessert.
This nutrition information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Pie recipe to put together and use up all the apples we picked . My kids love it
The perfect recipe for holiday gatherings! So tasty!!
I made this for breakfast this morning and my family devoured it! It made for the perfect fall breakfast!
Oh wow, so easy to make and a perfect breakfast treat.
Truly amazing in taste and flavors in this recipe. Will definitely make again, very good recipe!