Treat your family to a flaky, delicious, and flavorful Apple Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Braid. This yummy treat is easy to prepare thanks to pre-made puff pastry, apple pie filling, and cream cheese.
⭐Why this recipe works
- An easy way to make an apple danish pastry.
- This is a very versatile recipe. You can substitute cherry pie filling, peach pie filling, or blueberry pie filling for the apple pie filling for a different flavor profile.
- Puff pastry sheet - This pastry is buttery and flaky and produces a delicious crust in a fraction of the time it would take you to make your own.
- Apple pie filling - Using apple pie filling is a great shortcut since it is already spiced and you don't have to peel your own apples.
- Cream cheese - Use softened cream cheese to make the spreading easier. To help it soften you can remove it from the wrapper and place the unwrapped cream cheese on a plate in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Egg - An egg wash gives this pastry braid its golden brown color.
- Flour - To help keep the puff pastry dough from sticking to the cutting board.
📋Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: Let puff pastry come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
STEP 2: Add flour to a cutting board. Roll the puff pastry sheet out to get the lines out.
STEP 3: Place the puff pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut lines on each side of the dough with a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
STEP 4: Spread softened cream cheese down the middle of the dough.
STEP 5: Add the apple filling over the cream cheese filling.
STEP 6: Crisscross the strips of dough over the filling to make a braid and fold the top and bottom ends over.
STEP 7: Whisk an egg and brush the egg wash over the top of the dough.
STEP 8: Bake for 25 minutes until the crust turns golden brown in color.
Tip 1: Lining the baking sheet with parchment paper makes for easy cleanup.
Tip 2: Serve this warm with some vanilla ice cream on top for a decadent dessert.
When this cools, you can wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
🍏Related Apple Recipes
🌟If you try this recipe, leave a star rating below or a review in the comment section. Be sure to sign up for my newsletter to get my latest recipes!
Apple Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Braid
- Let puff pastry come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a cutting board or pastry board add flour. Roll the puff pastry sheet out to get the lines out.
- Place the puff pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet. With a knife or pizza cutter cut lines on each side of the dough.
- Spread softened cream cheese down the middle. Fill with apple pie filling. Criss cross the dough over the filling.
- Whisk an egg and brush over the top of the dough.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden light brown.
- Lining the baking sheet with parchment paper makes for easy cleanup.
- To soften the cream cheese: remove it from the wrapper and place the unwrapped cream cheese on a plate in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Serve this warm with vanilla ice cream on top for a decadent dessert.
This nutrition information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.