When I think of comfort food, something warm and hearty always comes to mind. You know, a dish that just soothes you from the inside out. This Chicken and Dumplings Recipe is pure comfort food and is sure to become a favorite in your home. It combines the flavor of chicken soup with dumplings made from a biscuit type dough. Learn how to make this bowl of yum!
Why chicken and dumplings are awesome
- Pure comfort food and easy to make from scratch
- Perfect for a cold night
- The taste brings back memories of your childhood
- chicken breasts
- black pepper
- olive oil
- large onion
- celery ribs
- chicken broth or chicken stock
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- dried thyme
- sliced chives
- heavy cream
How to make easy chicken and dumplings
To make this yummy chicken and dumplings recipe, sprinkle your chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
Then heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat on the stovetop. Add the boneless skinless chicken breasts. Turn the chicken often while cooking, until it is browned on all sides. This will take about 6 minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate.
Drain all but about 1 tablespoon of fat from the pot. Add in the diced onion, carrots, and celery. Cook the vegetables while stirring often, until they are tender. This will take about 5 minutes.
After the vegetables have cooked, return the chicken to the pot.
Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium low.
Cover the pot and let everything simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through. This will take about 45 minutes.
When the chicken is cooked, transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large bowl using a slotted spoon. Set the pot with the broth aside. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the bones and skin. Shred the chicken into 2 inch pieces. These shredders make it so easy!
Now it is time to make the dumpling dough. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Then in a small bowl, whisk milk with egg and thyme.
Combine the wet mixture and the dry ingredients. Stir everything until just moistened.
Form the dough into a ball and knead until soft on a floured surface.
Use your hand or a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a rectangle about ½" thick then cut it into 12 equal pieces.
Bring the broth you set aside earlier to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Next, whisk in your cream.
Carefully drop your dumplings into the simmering mixture. I like to ease in the dumplings with this skimmer ladle. Bring to a simmer until the dumplings are puffed and cooked through. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
Now return the chicken and vegetables to the pot. Cook the entire mixture for a few minutes until it is warm.
Finally, scoop some into a bowl and enjoy!
This chicken and dumpling easy recipe is comfort food at it's best! It is perfect for a cool night or when you are feeling a bit under the weather.
So much goodness in every bite!
If you want to make meal planning easier, check out Eat At Home Meal Plans. I use them and they make life so much easier!
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 3 split bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts about 2 ½ pounds
- 2 teaspoon salt use 1 teaspoon for chicken and 1 for dumpling mixture
- ½ teaspoon pepper use ¼ teaspoon for chicken and ¼ teaspoon for dumpling mixture
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup sliced celery
- ¾ cup sliced carrots
- 6 cups chicken broth 1 48 oz container
- 1 c flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon sliced chives
- 3 tablespoon heavy cream
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- In a large pot on medium high, heat the oil. Add the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Cook chicken, turning often, until browned on all sides about 6 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Drain all but about 1 tablespoon fat from pot. Add in the diced onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot. Add broth. Over high heat, bring to boil. Then, reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 45 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to a large bowl. Set aside pot with broth.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard bones and skin. Shred the meat into 2 inch pieces.
- For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper in medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk with egg and thyme.
- Combine the wet mixture and the dry ingredients. Stir until just moist. Gather dough into ball and knead until soft on a floured surface. Using your hand, flatten dough into rectangle about ½" thick. Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Over high heat, bring broth to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-high. Whisk in cream.
- Carefully drop dumplings into the simmering mixture. Simmer until dumplings are puffed and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Return chicken and veggies to mixture. Cook until warm for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy!
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Cornbread, side salad, veggie side, or coleslaw.