When I think of comfort food, something warm and hearty always comes to mind. You know, a dish that just soothes you from the inside out. This Chicken and Dumplings Recipe is pure comfort food and is sure to become a favorite in your home. It combines the goodness of chicken soup with dumplings made from a biscuit type dough. Learn how to make this bowl of yum!
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
To make this yummy chicken and dumplings recipe, sprinkle your chicken with 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
Then heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Turn the chicken often while cooking, until it is browned on all sides. This will take about 6 minutes. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate.
Drain all but about 1 tablespoon of fat from the pot. Add in the diced onion, carrots, and celery. Cook the vegetables while stirring often, until they are tender. This will take about 5 minutes.
After the vegetables have cooked, return the chicken to the pot.
Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium low.
Cover the pot and let everything simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through. This will take about 45 minutes.
When the chicken is cooked, transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large bowl using a slotted spoon. Set the pot with the broth aside. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the bones and skin. Shred the chicken into 2 inch pieces. These shredders make it so easy!
Now it is time to make the dumplings. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Then in a small bowl, whisk milk with egg and thyme.
Combine the wet mixture and the dry ingredients. Stir everything until just moistened.
Form the dough into a ball and knead until soft on a floured surface.
Use your hand to flatten the dough into a rectangle about ½" thick then cut it into 12 equal pieces.
Bring the broth you set aside earlier to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Next, whisk in your cream.
Carefully drop your dumplings into the simmering mixture. I like to ease in the dumplings with this skimmer ladle. Bring to a simmer until the dumplings are puffed and cooked through. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
Now return the chicken and vegetables to the pot. Cook the entire mixture for a few minutes until it is warm.
Finally, scoop some into a bowl and enjoy!
This chicken and dumpling recipe is comfort food at it's best! It is perfect for a cool night or when you are feeling a bit under the weather.
So much goodness in every bite!
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 3 split bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts about 2 ½ pounds
- 2 tsp salt use 1 tsp for chicken and 1 for dumpling mixture
- ½ tsp pepper use ¼ tsp for chicken and ¼ tsp for dumpling mixture
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ¾ cup sliced celery
- ¾ cup sliced carrots
- 6 cups chicken broth 1 48 oz container
- 1 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp milk
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp sliced chives
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- In a large pot on medium high, heat the oil. Cook chicken, turning often, until browned on all sides about 6 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Drain all but about 1 tbsp fat from pot. Add in the diced onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pot. Add broth. Over high heat, bring to boil. Then, reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 45 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to a large bowl. Set aside pot with broth.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard bones and skin. Shred the meat into 2 inch pieces.
- For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, 1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper in medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk with egg and thyme.
- Combine the wet mixture and the dry ingredients. Stir until just moist. Gather dough into ball and knead until soft on a floured surface. Using your hand, flatten dough into rectangle about ½" thick. Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Over high heat, bring broth to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-high. Whisk in cream.
- Carefully drop dumplings into the simmering mixture. Simmer until dumplings are puffed and cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Return chicken and veggies to mixture. Cook until warm for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy!
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Eat at Home Meal Plans
Have you heard about Eat At Home Meal Plans? If the cost of eating out or the decision of what to make for dinner each night is stressing you out, then you must try these. When you sign up, you get access to four separate meal plans each month (Traditional, Wholesome Traditional, Slow Cooker, and No Flour/No Sugar). All you do is print the plans, color-coded grocery lists, and recipes you want for that month. Don't worry, there are lots of options, so even picky eaters will find something they like.
Then when it is time for dinner, make that night’s recipe (choices include make-ahead, freezer meals, slow-cooker recipes, and other time-saving strategies).
That's it! Dinner is on the table and you can enjoy a home cooked meal with the family – without the stress!
We all have more important things to do than meal planning. Let someone else do it for you with Eat At Home Meal Plans. Monthly, quarterly and annual plans are available.
If you liked this Chicken and Dumpling Recipe, you'll love: