Bark is surprisingly simple to make. You just melt chocolate or candy melts, add toppings and let it harden. Sounds easy enough, right? But the fun begins when you get a little creative with colors and toppings. You can truly make bark to fit any theme you might be interested in. Today I am sharing a simple recipe for making Halloween Witch Bark. This is such a fun recipe because the toppings make it look like a witch has melted into the bark. Think Wizard of Oz and you'll get the idea. Be sure to also try our Oreo Spider Cookies!
⭐Why You'll Love This Recipe
- This Halloween bark is great for Halloween parties or any Halloween celebration.
- Melted witch bark is fun to snack on while doing a fun Halloween activity like these Halloween I Spy printables
- This also makes fun Halloween treats for kids. You'll be proud to hand this out to friends and trick or treaters.
📋Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: Before you make this candy bark, you will need to make the witches hats. This is done by attaching a Hershey's kiss to a Keebler Grasshopper cookie.
Unwrap a Hershey's kiss and add a drop of black decorating gel to the bottom.
STEP 2: Stick the Hershey's Kiss to the Grasshopper cookie, holding it down for a few seconds until it is fully set. Place finished hats to the side.
STEP 3: Next, you will create the witches broom. Start by taking a mini marshmallow and cutting one end ¾ of the way up using kitchen scissors. This will create the fringe of the broom.
STEP 4: Poke a pretzel stick into the non-cut side of the mini marshmallow to make a witch's broom!
STEP 6: To make the colorful bark, pour each color of candy wafers into their own microwave safe bowl and melt them according to package directions.
STEP 7: Spread a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper on the counter. Using a spoon, drop small dots of the melted candy melts over the paper. Drag a wooden skewer or toothpick through all of the colors until your desired pattern appears.
OPTIONAL: Sprinkle with sugar crystals if desired. I think the sugar crystals add a special touch to the Halloween witch bark.
STEP 8: While the candy melts are still melted, gently press the witch hats and brooms into the bark.
STEP 9: Allow the candy to harden and set.
STEP 10: When the candy has hardened, remove the bark from the wax paper. It should come off easily. Break it into pieces.
I like to try and get a witch's hat and broom into each piece of Halloween Chocolate bark. It just looks cooler that way.
Tip 1: Use Wilton Candy melts. This brand of melting chocolate melts the smoothest and I find the quality to be better than other brands.
You can store this in an airtight container at room temperature. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.
I wouldn't add too much more to this bark since it would take away from the melted witch look we are going for. But you can add chopped nuts or smashed Oreos.
🎃Related Halloween Recipes
Halloween Witch Bark
- ½ cup Mini Marshmallows
- 20 Pretzel Sticks
- 12 Grasshopper Cookies
- 12 Hershey Kisses
- 1 tube Black Decorating Gel
- 12 oz Bright Green Candy Melts Purple and Black
- 12 oz Purple Candy Melts
- 12 oz Black Candy Melts
- Optional: Sprinkles We used sugar crystals
- Make your witch hats. Unwrap a Hershey kiss and add a drop of black decorating gel to the bottom. Stick it to the Grasshopper cookie and set to the side to fully set.
- Make your witch brooms. Using kitchen scissors, cut the marshmallow ends ¾ of the way up to make the fringe of the broom. Poke a mini marshmallow to the end of a pretzel stick.
- Pour the candy melts into their own bowls and melt according to package instructions.
- Spread a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper over the counter.
- Once melted, drop small dots of the candy melts over the paper.
- Using a skewer, drag it through all of the colors until your desired pattern appears.
- Sprinkle with sugar crystals if desired.
- Gently press the witch hats and brooms into the bark.
- Allow to set for 30 minutes.
- Break into pieces and enjoy.