It's the time of year when apples are plentiful, and recipes for apples are everywhere. While those recipes are all well and good, we've got a more fun way to put those apples to good use. This Apple Spiders Halloween Snack is one of our favorite Halloween recipes. It is easy to make and kids can even make it themselves! Be sure to also try our Oreo Spider Cookies!
⭐Why These Halloween Treats Are Awesome
- Snack comes together quickly - just 8-10 minutes
- Better for kids than super sugary snacks
- Kids can make it themselves
- Apples - I used Gala apples because their slight sweetness works well with peanut butter. Tart apples that work with peanut butter are Granny Smith and Pink Lady.
- Pretzel Sticks - These will be used to make the legs.
- Chocolate Chips - You can also use dark chocolate or white chocolate chips.
- Candy Eyes - You can find these in the baking section of your local grocery store.
- Peanut Butter - Any kind you have on hand will work. You can even substitute with sunflower butter to make this peanut allergy friendly.
📋Step By Step Instructions
Before you make these, you'll want to set up your workspace. You can prepare these on some parchment paper.
STEP 1: Remove the stem and slice each apple into 4 discs. Discard any end slices of the apple.
STEP 2: Using a butter knife or spreader, spread peanut butter on half of the apple slices.
STEP 3: Now it is time to add the spider legs. We will be using pretzel sticks as spider legs. Place four pretzel sticks on each side of the peanut butter-coated apples to create spider legs.
STEP 4: Take an apple slice of a similar size and place it on top of the peanut butter apples.
STEP 5: To make the face, we will use candy eyes and chocolate chips. The center of the apple core will serve as a cute nose. Using peanut butter as glue, stick two candy eyes onto each apple.
STEP 6: Create the spider's mouth using the chocolate chips and peanut butter to hold them in place.
You can serve apple spiders on a baking sheet, which will be able to hold a lot of them at once.
These would be such a fun snack for a Halloween party or before trick or treating when you don't want your kids to be eating a bunch of sugar.
TIP 1: When you are cutting the apples, aim for medium slices. You do not want thin slices or thick slices.
TIP 2: If you don't have chocolate chips for the spider mouth, feel free to use raisins.
Yes, I love this with the addition of raspberry jelly.
Because the apples have a tendency to turn brown, you'll want to make these just before using them.
🍎Related Apple Recipes
🌟If you try this recipe, leave a star rating below or a review in the comment section. Be sure to sign up for my newsletter to get my latest recipes!
Apple Spiders Halloween Snack
- Slice each apple into 4 discs.
- Spread peanut butter on half of the apples.
- Place four pretzel sticks on each side of the peanut butter coated apples to create spider legs.
- Take a apple disc and place it on top of the peanut butter apples.
- Using peanut butter as glue, stick two candy eyes onto each apple.
- Create a mouth using the chocolate chips and using peanut butter to hold them in place.
Get These Halloween Printables
Kids will love these Halloween I Spy printables. This printable I Spy is fun for kids of all ages. Kids will look and find each Halloween item and then write down how many of each item they find. This helps them with visual discrimination skills as well as writing and counting. So many skills to practice with these kids printables. Great for the classroom or for home use. Kids will love doing these to celebrate Halloween.