If you are short on time in the evenings, and are following the Weight Watchers plan, you will love this Weight Watchers Salsa Chicken Make Ahead Freezer Meal. You can prepare it on the weekend when you have more time for meal prep, and just label and freeze it. Then, when you want to have it for dinner, simply open the bag and drop the ingredients into the crock pot and go about your day. It's doesn't get any easier. Without cheese, this is a zero point meal under the Freestyle program. If you decide to add cheese, simply adjust the points accordingly.
Why you'll love this make ahead freezer meal
- Can be prepared ahead of time and frozen
- Just pop in the crock pot on the day you want to make it
- A healthy and low point Weight Watchers meal
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- black beans
- petite diced tomatoes
- garlic powder
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
How to make Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
To start, you will need a gallon sized zip top bag. If you are going to be doing a lot of freezer meals, you definitely need a bag holder, which will allow your bag to stay open hands-free when you dump in your ingredients.
After you have added in all of your ingredients, remove any air from the bag and squeeze it shut and seal the bag. Store the bag in the freezer. I like to make sure the bag is lying completely flat in the freezer. This saves a ton of freezer space, and if you are making many freezer meals at once, allows them to stack on top of each other.
When you are ready to cook your salsa chicken recipe, simply open up the bag, dump the contents into the crock pot and discard the bag. No need to thaw the ingredients. Set the crock pot to cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
When you have 30 minutes left in cooking time, add some shredded cheese to the top. I used a Mexican blend cheese, but feel free to experiment and use a lower fat or fat free cheese. Of course, if you do add cheese, be sure to adjust the point total. Without cheese, this Weight Watchers Salsa Chicken dish is zero ww points.
Weight Watchers Salsa Chicken Make Ahead Freezer Meal
- Add 2 pounds of cut up chicken breasts to a gallon zip top bag along with the salsa, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, garlic powder and cumin.
- Remove any air from the bag and squeeze it shut and seal the bag. Store the bag in the freezer lying flat.
- When you are ready to cook your meal, simply open up the bag, dump the contents into the crock pot and discard the bag. Set the crock pot to cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Optional: If you would like, when you have 30 minutes left in the cooking time, add 1 cup of shredded cheese to top and continue cooking. You can use cheddar or a Mexican blend. If you add cheese, please adjust the point value and calorie value.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
You can serve it as is or over brown rice or cauliflower rice. One of our favorite ways to enjoy this chicken is to add taco seasoning and serve it in tacos.
Diced onions and bell peppers work well in this recipe. Simply add them to the bag when you add the diced tomatoes.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Get your own Weight Loss Trackers
If you are following the Weight Watchers program, you will love these 100 Day Weight Loss Challenge printables. You will get printable Weight Loss Trackers to help you with your weight loss. This 100 day Weight Loss Challenge encourages you to stay on your diet program for 100 days. Each time you finish a day, you cross it off on the pounds tracker.