Have you ever tried Zucchini Tots before? If you haven’t, you are in for a treat. If you have ever had a tater tot before, the concept is similar except in place of grated potatoes, you have shredded zucchini. I find they are great for veggie averse kids since they are cute and fun to eat and the shredded zucchini is well hidden among the other ingredients. After you make this, be sure to check out our other Family Friendly Recipes.
One of the reasons I love this zucchini tots recipe so much is that it tricks my kids into eating more veggies. It doesn’t hurt that these zucchini tots contain two kinds of cheese. More cheese is always a good thing!
You will need some shredded zucchini for this recipe. Shredding zucchini is a step that should be done by adults because of the potential for little hands to scrape and cut themselves.
Once the zucchini is shredded, use a cheese cloth to squeeze out the water from the zucchini.
My daughter was so excited to help with the recipe, but not excited enough to put down her crayon. I’m just glad we didn’t end up with a yellow crayon in our zucchini tots.
We used a mini muffin pan for our zucchini tots. You can also just mold them by hand into small tater tot sized pieces and bake them on a greased cookie sheet. I prefer the mini muffin pan because it keeps your hands from getting dirty and the size tots it makes are just perfect for kids.
I like baking these up until they become slightly crispy on the top and bottom.
My kids loved these little zucchini tots. My youngest liked dipping them in ketchup. They made a great veggie side dish for adults too.
If you enjoyed this zucchini tots recipe, you’ll love:
- 1 medium zucchini roughly one cup of zucchini after the water has been squeezed out
- 1/4 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a mini muffin pan.
- Shred one zucchini and wrap in cheese cloth. Squeeze out excess water from the zucchini.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1 cup shredded zucchini,egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Using a spoon, scoop the mixture into a greased mini muffin pan. The mixture will make 12 zucchini tots.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees until tops start to crisp.
If you love cooking with your kids, you’ll enjoy kidstir. When you sign up for kidstir your child will receive a monthly kit that will provide fun food adventures for them. You’ll get tasty recipes and fun new cooking tools that will spark a love of cooking in kids. This is such a great way to create memories with kids in the kitchen.
Want more Mess?
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram