My kids love banana bread. My favorite thing about it is that I can use those quickly-going-bad bananas that are sitting on my counter. It makes me feel like I purposely forgot to eat the bananas just so we can make yummy banana bread. In the past we have made Cranberry Banana Bread, but today we are taking it up a notch by adding Nutella to create Chocolate Banana Bread. Be sure to also try our 3 Ingredient Banana Oatmeal Cookies.
Why you'll love chocolate banana bread
- It's the best banana bread recipe around thanks to chocolate!
- Bananas and chocolate are a delicious combination.
- Great way to use over ripe bananas
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- brown sugar
- ripe bananas
How to make Chocolate Banana Bread
I used my favorite banana bread recipe as a base for this chocolate banana bread. After I mixed up the banana bread recipe, I simply layered it along with some Nutella in a loaf pan.
To make this chocolate banana bread recipe start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Next, use cooking spray to grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
In another large bowl, cream together butter and sugars using an electric mixer. Then add in the eggs and mashed bananas and mix until well combined.
Now, you'll add the banana mixture (wet ingredients) to the bowl with the dry ingredients and fold in until moistened. Be careful not to over stir.
Pour ½ of the batter into the prepared pan.
Warm Nutella in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or until it softens. Stir the heated Nutella and pour half of it on to the batter in the loaf pan. Use a knife to swirl the Nutella.
Pour the rest of the banana bread batter over the Nutella swirl.
Add the rest of the Nutella to the top of the banana bread batter and use a knife to swirl again.
It is easy to swirl the Nutella with a knife and make a pretty design. This is especially nice to do on the top layer of the chocolate banana bread.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top starts to get too dark, cover with foil while cooking.
How pretty does this look after baking?
Place the banana bread on a wire rack to cool. This chocolate banana bread just fills the house with the most delicious aromas.
When you slice into the bread, you can see a tasty ribbon of chocolate. If you have ever enjoyed a chocolate covered banana, this bread has a similar flavor.
The chocolate banana bread comes out perfectly browned on top and oh-so-moist on the inside. Just like banana bread should be!
My family loves to enjoy this bread when it is warm and fresh from the oven. You can store the rest on the counter for a few days, but ours never lasts that long.
This quick bread recipe makes a wonderful breakfast, snack or dessert. It's very versatile. If you can't get enough chocolate, try Double Chocolate Banana Bread from Stephanie's Sweet Treats
Chocolate Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, cream together butter and sugars.
- Mix in eggs and mashed bananas until well combined.
- Add banana mixture into flour mixture and stir until moistened, being careful not to over stir.
- Pour ½ of the batter into the loaf pan.
- Warm Nutella in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or until it softens.
- Stir the heated Nutella and pour half of it to the batter in the loaf pan. Use a knife to swirl the Nutella.
- Pour the rest of the banana bread batter over the Nutella swirl.
- Add the rest of the Nutella to the top of the banana bread batter and use a knife to swirl.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes. If the top starts to get too dark, cover with foil while cooking.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
For extra chocolaty bread, add ½ cup chocolate chips. You can even add ½ cup of white chocolate chips or ½ cup of peanut butter chips.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 4 days. You can also freeze the slices. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and freeze. Defrost them to enjoy with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea.