Pressing the easy button for dinner means using your Instant Pot. What better day to use the Instant Pot than Taco Tuesday?! The Instant Pot will make these key lime chicken tacos a breeze to make. The best part is that you can even make this chicken straight from frozen to cooked in 40 minutes. I love how simple dinner can be with the Instant Pot! These Instant Pot Chicken Tacos with Lime are an easy dinner your family will ask for again and again. Your family will also love these Chicken Taco Cups. If you are looking for more easy chicken dinners check out our Instant Pot Crack Chicken.
Why this recipe for instant pot pulled chicken tacos works
- These Instant Pot chicken tacos take just 15 minutes to prep
- Cook time is 40 minutes at the most. You can't go wrong!
- Easy to personalize with a variety of toppings
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- key lime juice
- onion; cut into half rounds
- tablespoons minced garlic
- package taco seasoning
- queso fresco
Dinner time is busy enough and when I don't have a lot of time to cook, lime chicken tacos are one of my go-to recipes.
How to make Instant Pot shredded tacos
First of all, place cut onion and minced garlic into the instant pot. Add water.
Place the chicken into the instant pot and pour in key lime juice. If you can't find key limes, you can just use bottled key lime juice. It tastes just as good. This is my favorite key lime juice.
Place the lid onto the pressure cooker. Turn the valve to the sealed position. Press the pressure cook or manual button and set the timer to 40 minutes for frozen chicken or 30 minutes for thawed chicken. Once the instant pot stops counting, so a natural pressure release by opening the valve.
Drain juice from chicken and shred the chicken. Place the chicken back into the pot and mix well with taco seasoning.
Top this instant pot shredded chicken with cilantro, white onion, avocado, and queso fresco and enjoy!
Serve on doubled corn tortillas or on flour tortillas, whatever you prefer.
Your whole family will love this cilantro lime chicken!
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos with Lime
- ½ white onion; diced
- 1 large haas avocado; diced
- 1 cup queso fresco cheese; crumbled
- ½ bundle cilantro; diced
- Place onion and garlic into the instant pot. Add water. Place chicken into the instant pot. Pour in key lime juice.
- Place the lid onto the instant pot. Turn the valve to the sealed position. Press the pressure cook or manual button and set the timer to 40 minutes for frozen chicken or 30 minutes for thawed chicken. Once the instant pot stops counting, release the pressure by opening the valve.
- Drain juice from chicken and shred the chicken. Place the chicken back into the pot and mix well with taco seasoning.
- Serve on doubled corn tortillas or on flour.
- Top with cilantro, white onion, avocado, and queso fresco.
Prep: 15 Minutes
Cook: 40 Minutes (frozen) 30 Minutes (thawed) Serves: 6
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
You can store leftover shredded chicken in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. You can even free the chicken for up to 3 months. When you are ready to use the chicken, place it in the refrigerator overnight to thaw.
Yes you can. If you are using frozen chicken set the Instant Pot timer to 40 minutes instead of 30.
Salsa works well as does sour cream. I also love to top these with beans and corn.