If you are looking for a St. Patrick's Day craft that doesn't involve rainbows or a leprechaun then you've come to the right place. Don't get me wrong, we love rainbows, pots of gold, and Lucky Charms, and we have done plenty of activities involving those things. Today's kids' activity does not. This St Patrick's Day Votive Craft is a little more subdued and will be a great addition to your holiday decorating.
*Since this activity uses a glass candle holder and Mod Podge, please carefully supervise your child. You know your child best and know if they will be able to work with the glass votive and Mod Podge.
🍀Why kids will love this St Patrick's Day Craft
- Makes a great decoration or gift
- Easy for kids to make with a few basic supplies
- They will love the way it glows when they drop in a battery-operated tea light
- Green tissue paper - we used 2 shades of green
- Glass votive holder - you can also usually find these at a dollar store
- Mod Podge - if you can't find any, you can try a 50% water and 50% white glue mixture
- Tealight - (battery-operated) gives the votive a perfect glow
📋Step by step instructions
STEP 1: Cut small circles out of the green tissue paper. Provide your child with the circles along with Mod Podge in a cup, a brush, and a votive candle holder.
STEP 2: Have your child dab some Mod Podge on the glass and stick a green circle on it. They will continue to do this until they have filled the outside of the glass votive.
STEP 3: When the kids are done decorating the candle holder, cover it with a thin layer of Mod Podge. I found this step was a lot easier for an adult to do.
STEP 4: The Mod Podge will dry clear in about 15-20 minutes.
STEP 5: When the candle is dry you can place a battery-operated tealight candle inside.
I think these would make a great addition to a St. Patrick's Day table. Since they are not overtly St. Patrick's-ish, you can use them all through the year.
💚St. Patrick's Day Coloring Bookmarks
Looking for more ways to celebrate St. Patrick's Day? Check out these fun bookmarks. Printable St Patrick's Day bookmarks will help you or your child keep your place in books you are reading. You'll love these St Patricks Coloring Bookmarks as they are fun for kids to personalize and use!
Tip 1: Mod Podge will take 15-20 minutes to dry.
Tip 2: Since this activity uses a glass candle holder and Mod Podge, please carefully supervise your child. You know your child best and know if they will be able to work with the glass votive and Mod Podge.
As an alternative, you can mix 50% water and 50% white glue and use that instead. It will not dry shiny like the Mod Podge, but it will still look great.
You can just use one color. I used various shades of green because I happened to have that on hand and I thought it added interest to the craft.
🌟If you try this craft, leave a star rating below or a review in the comment section. Be sure to sign up for my newsletter to get my latest posts!
St Patrick's Day Votive Craft
- Cut small circles out of the green tissue paper. Provide your child with the circles along with Mod Podge in a cup, a brush, and a votive candle holder.
- When the candle is dry you can place a battery-operated tealight candle inside.