Is there anything more comforting that a steaming bowl of soup on a chilly night? A good bowl of soup just warms your belly and your soul. Unfortunately, I don't always have time to whip up my favorite soups, which is why I love making them in my Instant Pot. This German Potato Soup in the Instant Pot (also know as Kartoffelsuppe)is hearty and delicious and ready in just 10 minutes! For more Instant Pot soup recipes, check out our Instant Pot Taco Soup.
Why this German Potato Soup in the Instant Pot is awesome
- Full of vegetables so it is very filling
- Contains your favorite flavors from German potato salad
- Cooks up in just 10 minutes in the Instant Pot
- red potatoes or russet potatoes
- celery stalks
- white onion
- small head of cabbage
- vegetable broth
- fresh parsley for garnish
How to make this Instant Pot German Potato Soup recipe
To make this German Potato Soup in the Instant Pot, you need to chop and dice some ingredients. Start with your potatoes. Peel and dice the potatoes. I used red potatoes, but feel free to use whatever variety you have on hand. Place the chopped potatoes in the Instant Pot.
Dice the carrots and add them to the Instant Pot.
Dice the celery and onion and add them to the Instant Pot as well.
Chop cabbage and add to the pot. I find it best to use a white cabbage.
Mix all of the items together in the pot. Pour vegetable broth over the ingredients and add water.
Lock lid on the pot and set valve to seal. Set to high pressure for 10 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting, release the pressure. Taste test carefully and add more salt if needed.
You can serve this German Potato Soup with a slice of crusty bread. You can also top this soup with sliced sausage or bacon and parsley. I like adding the sausage sometimes to get some protein in there. However you serve it, this German Potato Soup in the Instant Pot is easy and oh so tasty!
We all have more important things to do than meal planning. With Eat At Home Meal Plans, you can let someone else do it for you. Monthly, quarterly and annual plans are available.
German Potato Soup in the Instant Pot
- 10 red potatoes; peeled can use any potato you like
- 2 carrots; diced small
- 2 celery stalks; diced small
- 1 white onion; diced small
- ½ small head of cabbage; chopped
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 - 28 oz container vegetable broth
- 4 cups water more for 8qt
- parsley for topping
- Peel potatoes and dice. Dice carrots, celery, and onion. Chop cabbage (best to use a white cabbage).
- Place all the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and cabbage into the Instant pot. Top with vegetable broth. Add water. Add in seasonings and stir.
- Lock lid on the pot and set valve to seal. Set to high pressure for 10 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting release the pressure. Taste test carefully and add more salt if needed.
- Serve with bread and can be topped with sliced sausage and parsley.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
You can store German potato soup in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
I used parsley, but some like to add some shredded cheddar cheese or a dollop of sour cream.
Yes! Feel free to add 1 cup of chopped leeks to the soup.