If you have never tried Instant Pot soup recipes before, you must give it a try, and this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe is the perfect one to start with. One of my favorite soups at Panera Bread is the broccoli cheddar soup. Lots of kids are not fond of vegetables or broccoli in particular, but they will try this soup because of it's cheesy flavor. This Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup is so simple to make and takes hardly any time. If you do lots of Instant Pot cooking, check out these Must Have Instant Pot Accessories and our German Potato Soup in the Instant Pot.
Why you'll love Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Tastes rich and creamy with a wonderful cheesy flavor
- Pressure cooking means it's done in 25 minutes and packed with intense flavor
- Tastes like the soup from Panera Bread at a fraction of the cost
- salted butter
- fresh broccoli florets
- heavy cream
- sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make this broccoli cheese soup recipe
To prepare the Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup, begin by dicing and chopping the celery, carrots, onion and broccoli.
Set the pressure cooker to the Saute function, add butter and melt. Next, add the onions, carrots and celery to the pot and stir for a few minutes until the onions have softened. When that happens, turn off saute function. Then add broccoli and water to the pot and stir.
Now it's time to let the Instant Pot work it's magic! Close the lid and seal it. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes is up, do a manual release.
Set the Instant Pot to the Saute function again. Add the heavy cream and stir. Continuing stirring until the cream has warmed.
For this recipe you can use diced cheese or shredded. Whatever you have on hand will work.
Add the cheese into the pot, continuing to stir until the cheese has melted.
Now you can use an immersion blender to make the soup less chunky. If you prefer your soup to have a little more "bite" to it, you can leave it as is.
Once the cream and cheese have warmed and melted, this Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup is ready to serve. I like topping this with some shredded cheddar and serving it with some oyster crackers. This would go great with a grilled cheese sandwich.
If you have any leftovers of this soup, it is best reheated on the stove.
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 4 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 oz sharp cheddar
- To prepare the soup, begin by dicing and chopping the celery, carrots, onion and broccoli.
- With the Instant Pot on Saute function, add butter and melt. Add onions, carrots and celery to the pot and stir for a few minutes until the onions are softened. When finished turn off saute function.
- Add broccoli to pot along with the water and stir.
- Close and seal lid and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes is up, do a manual release.
- Return the Instant Pot to the saute function. Add the heavy cream and stir. Continuing stirring until the cream has warmed.
- If you are using a cheese block, dice the cheese into small pieces. Shredded cheese will also work for this recipe just fine!
- Add the cheese into the pot, continuing to stir until the cheese has melted.
- Now you can use an immersion blender to make the soup less chunky. If you prefer your soup to have a little more "bite" to it, you can leave it as is.
- Once the cream and cheese have warmed and melted, this is ready to serve. I like topping this with some shredded cheddar.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutrition facts may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stove for best taste.
You can use frozen broccoli in this recipe also.
I love serving this soup with some crusty bread and a side salad.
Have you heard about Butcher Box?
They deliver 100% grass-fed beef; free-range organic chicken; heritage-breed pork, wild-caught seafood, and more directly to your door. Butcher Box brings you the healthiest, highest quality meat while causing as little harm as they can to the environment. They work directly with a group of family farms to get you the best meat out there. You choose your box and delivery frequency and get free shipping.
You could go around town looking for the best deal, but the quality of the meats and the sourcing won’t be the same. Check it out here and see if it’s for you!