Summer makes entertaining easy. Invite over some friends, pop some burgers and hotdogs on the grill and you have an instant gathering. For me, the biggest summer entertaining decision has always been what to serve for dessert. In the past we have served ice cream, s'mores and cupcakes. However those options are full of sugar. I decided to put a healthy spin on summer dessert by swapping the sugar in these lemon bars. The result is a sweet and tart treat made with less added sugar. Be sure to also check out our Lemon Bar Crescent Recipe.
I made these yummy lemon bars using SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend.
Why these are the best lemon bars with less sugar
- Less sugar than traditional lemon bars
- People won't know there is less sugar
- They make a great snack or dessert
- unsalted butter
- Splenda Naturals Sugar and Sweetener blend
- large eggs
How to make this easy lemon bars recipe
This lemon bars recipe comes together in two parts. First you will be making the cookie crust and then you will be making the lemon filling. For the crust ingredients, blend butter, 2 cups of flour and ¼ cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend in a large mixing bowl.
Press the shortbread crust into the bottom of a greased 9x13 glass pan or baking dish and bake. You can line your baking pan with parchment paper if you wish for easy clean up.
While it is baking, assemble your lemon filling by whisking together ¾ cup of SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend, ¼ cup flour + 1 tablespoon flour, eggs, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
When the cookie crust is done, let it cool and then pour the lemon curd filling on top of the crust.
Lots of baked goods taste best when still warm from the oven. Lemon bars are best when they have been left to cool and the layers have firmed up. Once they are cooled, top them with a dusting of confectioners sugar and use a knife to slice them into 24 bars.
If you have any leftover bars, you can store them in the refrigerator as they taste exceptionally good when cold. I have frozen these lemon bars in the past and they hold up well. Just take them out of the freezer 20-30 minutes before you plan to serve them.
I served these lemon bars to my guests and got many compliments on them. People were surprised to learn that they were made with less added sugar than traditional lemon bars.
Try using SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetner Blend in your favorite dessert recipe and see if you can tell the difference.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup Splenda Naturals Sugar and Sweetner blend
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup Splenda Naturals Sugar and Sweetner blend
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tbs flour
- 3 lemons, juiced
- zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the cookie crust, blend 1 cup softened butter, 2 cups of flour and ¼ cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend in a medium bowl.
- Press the dough into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Assemble the lemon filling by mixing ¾ cup of SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend, ¼ cup flour + 1 tablespoon flour, 4 eggs, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
- When the cookie crust is done, let it cool and then pour the lemon filling on top of the crust. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the bars are cooled, top them with a dusting of powdered sugar and slice into 24 bars.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
Do not store these at room temperature. They need to be refrigerated in an airtight container or covered in foil or plastic wrap. They will last when stored in this manner for 4 days.
Yes, I highly recommend this sugar free confectioners sugar.