This picnic chicken with BBQ sauce recipe doesn't require many ingredients, but it's so delicious! Only 2 ingredients and 45 minutes of cook time are all you need to make this awesome meal! It is perfect to serve with corn, potato salad, or cornbread! If you're looking for a family-friendly meal to serve at your next outdoor gathering, this is it!
Why this picnic chicken is awesome
- Easy to make - just 2 ingredients!
- Goes with a variety of summer side dishes
- You can personalize the heat and flavor depending on what kind of BBQ sauce you use.
- Chicken leg quarters
- BBQ sauce (use your favorite) We love Sweet Baby Ray's. There are many varieties like Sweet and Spicy, Honey BBQ, and Hickory and Brown Sugar.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make BBQ Picnic Chicken
To make this picnic chicken recipe, place the charcoal into grill below the grates. Light the charcoal. Let sit till coals have started to get white. You can also make this chicken on a gas grill.
Wash the chicken and pat dry. Place the chicken leg quarters on the charcoal grill and sauce well. I love to get my chicken from ButcherBox where I can get 100% grass-fed beef; free-range organic chicken; heritage-breed pork, wild-caught seafood, and more directly to my door.
Flip the chicken every 5 minutes. This keeps it from burning and allows it develop a crispy skin.
Continue basting the chicken with the barbecue sauce each time you flip it.
Grill until the chicken reaches a temperature of 175 to 180 degrees F when measured with a meat thermometer. This is best for dark meat as it renders the fat at this stage while keeping the meat tender.
Remove from the grill and serve this BBQ chicken recipe with your favorite BBQ side dish like these Coca Cola Baked Beans. Just make sure you have plenty of napkins on hand.
Picnic Chicken with BBQ Sauce
- 6 chicken leg quarters
- 1 jar BBQ sauce use your favorite
- Place the charcoal into grill below the grates. Use lighter fluid or tumbleweeds to light the charcoal. Let sit till coals have started to get white.
- Wash chicken. Place on the grill and sauce well. Flip chicken every 5 minutes. This keeps it from burning.
- Repeat adding sauce at every turn. Cook until the chicken temps out at 175 to 180 degrees F. This is best for dark meat as it renders the fat at this stage.
- Remove and serve with your favorite BBQ side dish.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
You can wait until the chicken is on the grill to baste it with BBQ sauce, but don't cook the chicken without it.
You can serve green beans, potato salad, chips, corn on the cob, pickles, or coleslaw.
Sure! Feel free to sprinkle with garlic powder, and salt and black pepper to taste.
No, you can use chicken thighs, chicken breast or chicken legs.