A donut is one of my favorite treats. I love how you can have it for breakfast, snack or even dessert. There is an easy shortcut to making Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cake Mix Donuts. Chocolate cake mix! It replaces the flour and helps make a thick, rich cake-like donut with a hint of peanut butter. With this recipe you can make donuts at home similar to those found in donut shops.
Why you'll love these chocolate peanut butter donuts
- These easy cake mix donuts taste like they were made from scratch
- One of the simplest donuts recipe you'll find
- Perfect chocolate cake donut for peanut butter lovers
- chocolate cake mix
- large egg
- Vegetable oil or olive oil
- creamy peanut butter
- powdered sugar
- cocoa powder
- chocolate caramel coffee creamer
How to make chocolate cake mix donuts
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat your doughnut pan with with nonstick baking spray.
Empty cake mix into a large mixing bowl. Add egg, ¼ cup of oil and 1 cup of peanut butter.
Mix for 1 minute on low speed with an electric mixer, then raise to medium and mix for 90 seconds, or until the batter is smooth.
Transfer the cake batter to a large zipper seal bag and seal. Snip off one end of the bag with scissors. Pipe the batter into the donut pan which has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, filling a little more than ½ full.
Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the donut comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
To make the chocolate glaze, add cocoa and powdered sugar to a large bowl and stir until well blended. Add several tablespoons of coffee creamer to the bowl and mix by hand with a whisk. If needed, add a touch more to get the consistency you desire. You want the glaze to be thin enough to dip into, but not runny.
When the donuts have cooled, dip them into the frosting, then allow them to dry on a cooling rack.
Look, a donut is never going to be the healthiest thing you can eat, but this baked chocolate donut is better for you than its fried counterpart.
The peanut butter really adds to the flavor.
These cake donuts are hard to resist!
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cake Mix Donuts
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of oil
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoon chocolate caramel coffee creamer
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray your donut pan with cooking spray.
- Empty cake mix into a mixing bowl.
- Add egg, ¼ cup of oil and 1 cup of peanut butter.
- Mix on low speed for 1 minute, then increase the speed to medium and blend for 90 seconds, or until the batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter to a large zipper seal bag and seal.
- Snip one end off of the bag with scissors.
- Pipe the batter into the donut pan, filling a little more than ½ full.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- When the donuts are completely cool, dip them into the glaze, then allow to dry on the wire rack.
To make the chocolate glaze
- Add cocoa and powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and stir until well blended.
- Add several tablespoons of coffee creamer to the bowl and mix by hand with a whisk.
- If needed add a touch more to get the consistency you desire. You want the glaze to be thin enough to dip into, but not runny.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutrition facts may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also store them in the fridge for up to 5 days and pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm before eating.
After you dip them in the glaze, you can top them with sprinkles, chopped walnuts, or chocolate chips.
Do you want to cook with your kids?
I have long been a proponent of cooking with kids. There are so many things kids learn helping out in the kitchen. Math, reading, chemistry, cooperation and more are used while following a recipe.
Raddish is a monthly subscription box for kids that is a cooking club, culinary lesson, and mealtime solution all-in-one. Young children get to work with an adult, while older kids and teens independently indulge their culinary curiosity! And it’s perfect for picky eaters — kids who cook, eat!