We have made art in some pretty unorthodox ways in the past, such as painting with rolling pins and making soap foam prints. One of our favorite unique ways to make art is by salt painting. If you have never tried salt painting before, it is a technique that uses something found in most households to create beautiful, textured art.
Why your kids will love Salt painting
- Allows them to create textured, three dimensional art
- Fun process art activity that doesn't take long to complete
- Kids get to us a household item in a different, creative way
Painting with Salt Activities
1. Black Glue and Salt Watercolor Rainbow from Mess for Less - Have you ever painted with black glue and watercolor paint before? Check out how easy it is to make and how it just makes salt painting come alive. This really is magic with a paint brush.
2. Firework Salt Painting from Busy Mommy Media - This firework salt painting art is ideal for a summer art project with your children! It generates a cool effect by using salt.
3. Salt Painting from Housing a Forest - I love the various designs made and the focus on the process. So much fun!
4. Zoo Animal Salt Painting for Kids from Toddler Approved - Even little ones can enjoy salt painting with this fun giraffe craft.
5. Sticky Salt Painting from I Can Teach My Child - If you don't have a lot of time, this is the activity for you. Just two minutes of prep time needed!
6. Dripping Salt Painting from Mess for Less - With this activity, kids get to move and turn the paper to create art.
7. How to Do Salt Painting from Powerful Mothering - Kids paint using an eyedropper which helps to strengthen fine motor skills.
8. Colored Salt Painting for Kids from A Little Pinch of Perfect - Kids will love this textured art experience.
9. Painting on Salt and Glue from Simple Fun for Kids - Kids learn about absorption in this salt painting activity.
10. The Magic of Salt Painting from Artsy Momma - Get the templates to make a pretty butterfly and dragonfly using salt. Kids will love the texture on their art.
11. Ocean Art Project for Kids Using Watercolor and Salt from Buggy and Buddy -Combines salt art with a ocean theme.
12. Salt and Watercolors On Sticky Paper from What Do We Do All Day - Expand upon salt painting by making art prints in this watercolor salt painting activity.
13. Erupting Salt Art from Paging Fun Mums - Love the fizzy elements to this art project.
Got kids who love crafts? The good folks at Annie's know crafting, so they have curated some amazing kits for your kids. Check out The Creative Girls Club and Young Woodworkers Kits to discover all the fun.