If you need to feed a crowd, there is nothing better than this hearty tater tot casserole. It combines some of my favorite breakfast items - tater tots, eggs, cheese and sausage. What's not to love? Once you make this yummy tater tot casserole recipe, you need to try our Sausage, Egg and Biscuit Breakfast Casserole.
You will be baking this tater tot breakfast casserole in a 9 x 13 casserole dish. My favorite casserole dish is this one by Anchor Hocking. I love it because it comes with a carrier so I can easily bring my breakfast casserole to gatherings or meetings.
Why you are going to love this tater tot casserole recipe
My favorite thing about this breakfast casserole with tater tots is that you can prepare it the night before, place in the refrigerator and bake it up in the morning. Breakfast really doesn't get much easier than that. This is classic comfort food that is perfect for a chilly morning.
- sausage links
- Tater tots
- shredded cheese
- kosher salt
How to make this tater tot hotdish
You can brown your sausage over medium heat in a large skillet or in the microwave.
This dish starts with browned sausage that is cut and spread into a greased casserole pan.
Next, you'll mix the milk, eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl and pour them over the sausage in the baking dish.
Now it is time to sprinkle on the cheddar cheese. If you will be serving this the next morning like I did, cover and refrigerate at this point. You will be performing the next steps in the morning.
Spread the tater tots on top of the cheese layer.
Add the remainder of the cheese on top and bake.
This tater tot casserole did not last long when I served it. I was lucky to snatch up a piece and it was SO good. The flavor can't be beat!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Brown sausage according to package directions and cut into bit sized pieces. Spread cooked and cut sausage onto greased casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, beat together milk, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Cover the sausage in the casserole dish with the egg mixture.
- Cover with one cup of cheese.
- If you will be serving this the next morning, cover and refrigerate at this point.
- In the morning:
- Spread 16 oz of tater tots on top of the cheese.
- Add the remainder of the cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
Not at all! This is an easy dinner recipe as well, whether you are using it as a main or side dish.
Yes. You do not need to thaw the tater tot potato before using them.
You can bulk this up further by adding some veggies such as onions and mushrooms.