Make these Valentine's Day Cupcakes Filled with Sprinkles for someone you love! You'll adore these Valentine's Day Cupcakes because of the fun surprise in the middle. Sure, they look like ordinary adorable cupcakes, but when you cut into them, you'll see they have been filled with colorful sprinkles. It's like a pinata in a cupcake! Be sure to also check out these Monster Lollipops for Valentine's Day and our Valentine's Dessert Cheese Ball.
Why these Valentine's cupcakes are awesome
- Make a fun Valentine's day dessert for kids
- Packed with strawberry flavor
- strawberry cupcake mix and ingredients for cupcakes
- strawberry preserves
- powdered sugar
- Red or pink food coloring
- Valentine's sprinkles
How to make Valentine's Day Cupcakes Filled with Sprinkles
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it uses a supermarket shortcut, namely, boxed strawberry cake mix. You don't need to bake strawberry cupcakes from scratch when you top them with delicious strawberry buttercream frosting. Of course, if you have a favorite strawberry cupcake recipe, you are more than welcome to use that.
To make this Valentine's Day dessert, start by baking the strawberry cupcakes according to package directions. I like used 2 cupcake liners on each cupcake because they look more festive. Remove from pan and allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack.
Remove a small section in the center of the cupcake with a knife. Make sure to leave a small section of cake at the bottom of the cupcake. If your child is helping you with this recipe, they will love helping to eat the cupcake centers.
Fill the hole with some Valentine's Sprinkles, being careful not to over fill. You will be covering the holes with the homemade buttercream frosting.
To make the strawberry buttercream frosting, beat the butter and strawberry preserves in a large bowl until fluffy and combined.
Next, add the powdered sugar one cup at a time to the buttercream batter, alternating with one tablespoon of milk, until the desired consistency is reached.
Add red food coloring and mix with a whisk until the desired shade of pink is reached. I prefer a darker pink, but I think a light pastel pink would be pretty too.
Top the cupcake with strawberry buttercream frosting.
I prefer to pipe on the frosting using a decorating bag and icing tip. It gives the cupcakes a professional look.
Now comes the fun part! Cut open or bite into the cupcake to reveal a fun surprise!
That's right, yummy sprinkles inside! Kids are just tickled by these Valentine's Day cupcakes filled with sprinkles.
Valentine's Day Cupcakes Filled with Sprinkles
For Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- ½ cup strawberry preserves
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Red food coloring
- Valentine's sprinkles
- Bake the strawberry cupcakes according to package directions. Remove from pan and allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Remove a small section in the center of the cupcake with a knife. Make sure to leave a small section of cake at the bottom of the cupcake.
- Fill the hole with Valentine's Sprinkles, being careful not to over fill.
- To make the strawberry buttercream frosting, beat the butter and strawberry preserves in a large bowl until fluffy and combined.
- Next, add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, alternating with one tablespoon of milk, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add red food coloring until the desired shade of pink is reached.
- Top the cupcake with strawberry buttercream frosting.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
You can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also store them longer (up to 5 days) in the refrigerator.
Yes, you can certainly use frosting in a tub for this recipe. Vanilla or cream cheese frosting works best.
Omg these are so cute and look so yummy! Great idea for Valentines Day! Thank you!!
Aren't these cupcakes just the cutest! The surprise inside adds a little something special, loving the color of that frosting too!
Oh what fun! Have a happy Valentine's Day! It will be here before we know it.
What a fun idea for a kid's Valentine's party!
These cupcakes are SOO cute! I love the surprise sprinkles inside. Such a fun Valentine's Day dessert!
That's so creative! I love it! Thanks for sharing!
I know, I love the bright color!
That frosting is so vibrant and I'm loving that surprise!