This chicken and potato casserole will become one of your family's favorite meals. If you are a fan of loaded baked potatoes, then you will love this. Imagine everything you adore in a loaded baked potato and add some chicken. Serve this yummy chicken and potato recipe for dinner with a side salad and you have a complete meal. This baked potato casserole contains protein, carbs and daily. Add a veggie and you are all set! Be sure to also check out this Oven Baked Chicken - 3 Ways and our Crack Chicken Casserole. So good!
Why you need to try this Chicken and Potato Casserole
- All in one meal with protein and carbs
- Tastes like a loaded baked potato
- Combo of cheese and bacon - 'nuff said
- 5 red potatoes
- boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- unsalted butter
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- green onion thinly sliced
- dallops of sour cream
- Sliced green onion
How to make chicken potato casserole
To make this casserole, you'll start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees. Then prep your baking dish with cooking spray. This is my favorite set of casserole pans. I love them because they are pretty enough to go from the oven to the table.
Cut and fry the pieces of bacon in a skillet. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon in the skillet. Cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces. Next, scrub and cut red potatoes into 1 inch pieces and place them in prepared baking dish.
Add melted butter, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a small bowl. Stir to combine.
Pour the butter mixture over the potatoes. Toss the butter mixture over the potatoes until they are evenly coated. Cook the potatoes at for 45-50 minutes or until they are tender.
Cook the chicken in the remaining bacon grease in the skillet. Cook over medium heat until completely cooked, about 8 minutes, but I always check my chicken with this meat thermometer.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and turn off the oven.
Now it's time for my favorite part - adding the cheese! Sprinkle one of the cups of cheese over the potatoes.
Layer the chicken, bacon pieces, and green onions on top. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese over that.
Put the casserole back in the still-warm oven for about 3-5 minutes or until the cheese topping gets ooey-gooey and melty. When the serving the casserole feel free to top with dollops of sour cream and sliced green onions.
Doesn't this loaded chicken and potato casserole just look amazing! If you have kids who are picky eaters, they will probably love this dish. When you combine bacon with cheese it's hard to go wrong.
We all have more important things to do than meal planning. With Eat At Home Meal Plans, you can let someone else do it for you. Monthly, quarterly and annual plans are available.
Chicken and Potato Casserole
- 5 red potatoes 6 cups - scrubbed and cut into ½ in pieces
- 8 oz package of bacon Slices cut then fried. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the skillet.
- 1 ½ LB boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 11/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 C shredded cheddar cheese use 1 cup at a time
- ¼ C green onion thinly sliced
- dallops of sour cream
- Sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prep baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add potatoes to the baking dish. Add butter, paprika, garlic powder,salt, and pepper into a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Pour butter mixture over potatoes.
- Toss the butter mixture over the potatoes until they are evenly coated.
- Cook potatoes at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- Add the chicken to the remaining bacon grease in the skillet.
- Cook on medium heat until completely cooked - about 8 minutes.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven. Turn off the oven.
- Sprinkle one of the cups of cheese over the potatoes.
- Layer the chicken, bacon pieces, and green onions on top.
- Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top.
- Put the casserole back in the still warm oven for about 3-5 minutes. (Or until the cheese melts)
- Optionally top each plate with casserole with sour cream and green onions.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
You can store the leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Yes, you'll want to be sure to cook the chicken first to avoid cross contamination.
Yes, russet potatoes will also work in this recipe.
We made this last night. Didn’t
Didn’t have any chicken thawed out so were used two cans of chicken. 15 ounces each. We also added onions and bell peppers. It was delicious! There wasn’t much left!
I love one pot meals and this Casserole looks so flavorful and delicious!
Perfect comfort casserole! Loved all the flavors together
Bacon and potato, yes please!! 2 of my all time favourite ingredients. Minimal fuss but great flavours, yes and yum!!
I love summer but to be honest, I'm ready for casserole season!!! Haha I just love how comforting it is and only one pan to wash is the best. Thanks for ths recipe!
Courtney | Love & Good Stuff
This looks so comforting and easy to make too! I can see this casserole being a big hit with my daughter who loves both potatoes AND bacon!