Baking bread is such a fun activity to do with kids. Measuring, scooping and kneading provides so many wonderful sensory and fine motor opportunities. Besides, who can resist a house that smells like baking bread. Baking bread with kids can sound intimidating, but thanks to this easy bread recipe it is not. People are really impressed when you tell them you baked your own bread rather than buying it at bakeries. This bread tastes as good at artisan bread you'd find at a store. Try this Easy Bread Recipe and see for yourself. Don't forget to also try this Strawberry Bread Recipe and this Irish Soda Bread Recipe.
Why this homemade bread recipe is awesome
- Easy enough for kids to make
- Honey adds a little taste of sweetness
- Just 6 ingredients to freshly baked bread
- active dry yeast (instant yeast)
- all purpose flour
How to make this Easy Bread Recipe
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Dissolve one package of yeast into a large bowl of the warmed milk. Next add the honey, melted butter, and salt. Stir to combine.
Add 3 cups of flour and mix with hands until a soft dough forms. We saved the last cup of flour for dusting and kneading.
Place the dough on a floured surface and begin kneading for about 10 minutes. This was my kids favorite part. They loved punching, pulling and squeezing the dough for this white bread recipe.
When you are done kneading, place the bread dough in a greased bowl and cover it. Place the bowl in a warm place and let the dough rise and double. This will take about an hour.
Next, punch down the dough and place it in a greased loaf pan or a pan with parchment paper. Cover the dough and place in a warm place for another 30 minutes until it rises and doubles.
Bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees. Our crust started browning at about 20 minutes so we placed some foil over the pan for the remainder of the cooking time. Remove from pan when done and allow to cool.
This bread has a nice chewy texture that makes it perfect for sandwich bread.
We love our golden brown honey bread with a little butter which melts so nicely on the still warm bread. No butter? Try Making Butter with Kids. I hope you and your kids will enjoy the flavor of this easy bread recipe.
Easy Bread Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Dissolve one package of yeast into a bowl of the warmed milk. Next add the honey, melted butter, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add 3 cups of flour and mix with hands until a soft dough forms. Use additional flour for dusting.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and begin kneading for about 10 minutes.
- When you are done kneading, place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it. Place the bowl in a warm place so it can rise and double. This will take about an hour.
- Next, punch down the dough and place it in a greased loaf pan. Cover the dough and place in a warm place for another 30 minutes until it rises and doubles.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees. You may need to cover the top with foil if it gets too brown. Remove from pan when done and allow to cool.
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
No. You can make this with all purpose flour.
You can use this homemade bread to make sandwiches or French toast. You can serve it with cheese or sprinkle it with olive oil, garlic, rosemary and herbs.
Do your kids love cooking?
I have long been a proponent of cooking with kids. There are so many things kids learn helping out in the kitchen. Math, reading, chemistry, cooperation and more are used while following a recipe.
Raddish is a monthly subscription box for kids that is a cooking club, culinary lesson, and mealtime solution all-in-one. Young children get to work with an adult, while older kids and teens independently indulge their culinary curiosity! And it’s perfect for picky eaters — kids who cook, eat!
A new kit is delivered to your doorstep every month!
Each kit features a new culinary theme! You’ll also get a shopping list emailed to you prior to delivery so you will be ready to cook. These kits are a great way for kids to develop new cooking skills and confidence in the kitchen while the entire family builds memories together. Find out more here.