This easy Egg Casserole is perfect if you're looking for a simple and satisfying breakfast or brunch casserole. Packed with cheesy goodness and bursting with flavor, this meatless casserole recipe is sure to become a family favorite. Another one of our favorite Casserole Recipes is this Sausage, Egg and Biscuit Breakfast Casserole.
- Egg Casseroles
- Ingredients for Egg Casserole
- How To Make An Egg Casserole
- How Do I Know When Egg Casserole is Done?
- Expert Tips For Making A Breakfast Casserole
- What can I serve with this recipe?
- How Do I Store This Breakfast Casserole?
- Can I Freeze An Egg Casserole?
- Amazon Products That I Love For Making Casseroles
- Simple Egg Casseroles
- 📖 Recipe
One of the best things about this breakfast recipe is that it is quick and easy to assemble. It is perfect for busy mornings or a weekend brunch. If you have any leftovers, this tastes just as good the next day.
This is the best breakfast casserole recipe to make when you don't have a ton of ingredients on hand since it uses items most people already have in their refrigerators.
Since it is made with protein-rich eggs, it is a nutritious and satisfying dish that will keep you full. Plus, you can include a variety of add-ins such as various vegetables, meats, and cheeses to make this exactly how you want.
Ingredients for Egg Casserole
- Eggs - Provide a protein punch. I used large eggs.
- Sour cream- Gives the casserole a creamy texture and slightly tangy taste.
- Milk - Adds a creamy texture to the casserole. You can use whole milk or 2%.
- Salt & Pepper - Enhances the flavor of the casserole.
- Cheddar cheese -Shredded. Sharp cheddar cheese gives a depth of flavor, but you can also substitute it with regular cheddar or shredded mozzarella.
- Ground mustard - Adds a bold, tangy flavor to this egg dish.
How To Make An Egg Casserole
Are you ready for a delicious home-cooked meal that's simple and satisfying? Then let's get started!
This dish comes together quickly with a mix of eggs, sour cream, milk, and seasonings whisked together.
Then you simply pour the mixture into a baking dish and add a generous sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese.
After this breakfast casserole is done cooking, add some chopped green onions for garnish and color.
How Do I Know When Egg Casserole is Done?
When your casserole is ready to come out of the oven it will be set just right - no loose or jiggly eggs moving around. A good way to test this is to insert a knife into the center of the casserole. If the knife comes out clean then you know the casserole is ready.
If you're watching your casserole bake and notice the top turning more brown than you'd like, don't worry! There is a super easy fix. Take some aluminum foil and carefully place it on top of the casserole dish. Be sure to use potholders because the dish will be hot. This will stop the top from browning any further while the rest of the casserole continues to cook.
Expert Tips For Making A Breakfast Casserole
Tip 1: Wanna jazz up this recipe? Add some diced ham, crispy bacon or crumbled sausage. If you're looking for a vegetarian option, throw in some spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, zucchini, bell peppers, or other veggies.
Tip 2: You may want to eat this sizzling casserole as soon as it comes out of the oven. But wait a few minutes for it to fully set. You'll have a much easier time slicing it.
What can I serve with this recipe?
You may be wondering what are some perfect companions for this delicious egg casserole. Here are some mouth-watering suggestions that are easy to make and pair well with this dish.
- Air Fryer Cajun Potatoes - These are not your ordinary potatoes. They have a kick of Cajun spice and are crisp from the air fryer. They're super simple to make, too - just toss them in your air fryer and let it work its magic!
- The Best Banana Crumb Muffins - These muffins add a sweet side to the casserole. They're moist, packed with banana flavor, and finished off with a sweet crumb topping.
- Easy Blueberry Muffins - If you love berries, then you must try these Muffins. You'll love how they are bursting with fresh blueberries.
- Homemade Overnight Cinnamon Rolls from Walking on Sunshine Recipes - I love the smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls wafting through the house. They pair beautifully with our protein-filled casserole.
How Do I Store This Breakfast Casserole?
We all know how yummy a freshly baked casserole is, right? But what do you do with the leftovers? If you are making this for a crowd you probably won't have any leftovers, but assuming you do, I got you covered. You can store this delicious casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh and yummy for up to five days. That means you can enjoy leftovers of this egg casserole for almost a week.
I like to enjoy leftovers for breakfast or lunch on a busy day. I love the convenience of just heating up a serving of this comforting casserole and not having to prepare something else.
Can I Freeze An Egg Casserole?
If you find yourself with too much leftover casserole and not enough room in your stomach to finish it all, no problem. You can freeze this casserole. Once it has cooled down, slice it into individual servings. Place each serving into a zip-top bag. Seal it and place it in the freezer.
This frozen casserole will stay good for up to 2 months. It is such a time saver to have ready-to-go, home-cooked meals in the freezer, especially for those busy days. When you are ready to eat, simply remove from the freezer and heat in the microwave until warm.
Amazon Products That I Love For Making Casseroles
Amazon provides a variety of products related to casserole making that can simplify the cooking process. From casserole dishes with lids, to casserole carriers, and even spatulas, Amazon's got it all. Let's explore some of my top picks for casserole products.
Silicone Spatula Set of 5,High Temperature Resistant, Food Grade Silicone, Dishwasher Safe, for Baking, Cooking (Aqua Green)Silicone Spatula Turner Set of 3, Beijiyi 600°F Heat Resistant Cooking Spatulas for Nonstick Cookware, Large Flexible Kitchen Utensils BPA Free Rubber Spatula Set for Egg, Pancake, Fish, BurgerShior Insulated Casserole Carrier 4 Hot or Cold Food - Double Decker, Expandable w/ Plates & Utensils Compartment - Waterproof Thermal Food Container for Potluck, Picnics, etc - 16x11x8 Inches - GrayPyrex Basics 3 QT Glass Baking Dish With Plastic Lid, Casserole Dish, Glass Food Container, Oven, Freezer And Microwave Safe, Clear ContainerRachael Ray Expandable Insulated Casserole Carrier for Hot or Cold Food, Thermal Lasanga Lugger Tote for Pockluck, Parties, Picnic, and Cookouts, Fits 9SPLF BPA FREE Reusable Storage Bags Dishwasher Safe, 6 Pack Reusable Gallon Freezer Bags, Extra Thick Leakproof Silicone and Plastic Free for Marinate Meats, Cereal, Sandwich, Snack, Travel Items
Simple Egg Casseroles
These easy breakfast options will keep you satisfied and feeling good!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and spray cooking spray in an 8x8 casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, milk, ground mustard, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture into the prepared casserole pan.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the casserole is set and lightly golden on top.
- You can add some chopped green onions to the top of the casserole for garnish.
- You can add diced ham, cooked bacon or sausage crumbles to this recipe. For a vegetarian option, add spinach, tomatoes, or bell peppers.
- When you take the casserole out of the oven, let it rest for a few minutes. This helps it to set and makes it easier to slice.