This Hash Brown Casserole with Corn Flakes is one of my most popular dishes and with good reason. Shredded hash browns, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and shredded cheese are topped with buttery cornflakes to make a dish that is the ultimate comfort food. Try this or any of our 10 Simple Casserole Recipes and tell me what you think.
This recipe was inspired by my Cheesy HashBrown Casserole which is great to try if you want another variation on this dish. Cracker Barrel does an amazing hash brown casserole that also inspired me. You may have also heard this dish referred to as funeral potatoes since it is a dish people will often bring over after a funeral.
⭐Why Hash Brown Casserole With Corn Flakes Is Awesome
- Great for Sunday dinner or even holiday meals
- The star of many potlucks
- Works great for breakfast, brunch or as a side dish at dinner.
- Hash brown potatoes - Shredded potatoes work best for this recipe. Thaw the hashbrowns before using.
- Cream of chicken soup - Adds a delightful creaminess and texture.
- Sour cream - Adds a tangy, creamy flavor to the dish.
- Cheddar cheese - You can also use a cheddar jack mix. You can use pre-shredded or grate your own cheese.
- Onion - Chopped. I used a white onion.
- Butter - Makes the cornflakes tasty and crunchy.
- Corn flakes - Give the casserole a hint of sweetness and crunch
📋How To Make Easy Hash Brown Casserole
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine thawed hashbrowns, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, shredded cheddar, chopped onions, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
STEP 2: Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
STEP 3: Spread Hash Brown Casserole mixture in a greased 13 x 9 baking dish. If you are making this the day before, you can cover it and put it in the refrigerator at this point, and add the cornflakes and butter in the morning.
STEP 4: If you are making this to use right away, crush 2 cups of cornflakes and sprinkle them over the casserole. Melt ¼ cup of butter in the microwave and evenly pour the melted butter over the cornflake topping to make buttery cornflakes.
STEP 5: Cover the hashbrown casserole with aluminum foil and bake in a 350-degree F oven for 55 minutes. Serve immediately.
I love meal planning and meals you can make ahead of time. I use Eat At Home Meal Plans to free up time and make yummy meals my family loves.
Tip 1: For a variation on this recipe, feel free to add cooked and crumbled bacon, sliced bell peppers, or diced ham.
Tip 2: I love this Anchor Hocking Bake and Take set. It makes it so easy to bring this potato casserole to a gathering.
Tip 3: Thaw the hashbrowns before using them in this recipe.
How do I store this cornflake casserole?
You can store this in the casserole dish in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for up to 5 days. You can reheat leftover casserole in the microwave, and pop it in the toaster oven to broil for a few minutes so the corn flakes can get crispy.
Can I make Hash Brown Casserole with Corn Flakes the night before?
Yes! You can mix up all the ingredients and place them in the casserole pan covered until the next morning. Add the cornflakes and butter in the morning. Then just bake according to instructions. I often do this on Christmas Eve when I am making them for the next day.
What can I serve with this cheesy hash brown casserole?
🥘 Related Recipes
🌟If you try this recipe, leave a star rating below or a review in the comment section. Be sure to sign up for my newsletter to get my latest recipes! When you sign up you get The 5 Essential Recipes All Busy Moms Need.
Hash Brown Casserole with Corn Flakes
For the topping
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 cups cornflakes crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the ingredients except for the cornflakes and butter in a large bowl. Put the cornflakes and butter aside for the topping.
- Spread mixture in a greased 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Crush 2 cups of cornflakes and sprinkle them over the casserole. Melt ¼ cup of butter in the microwave and evenly pour over corn flake mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 minutes. Serve immediately.
- For a variation on this recipe, feel free to add cooked and crumbled bacon, sliced bell peppers, or diced ham.
- Thaw the hashbrowns before using them in this recipe.
- You can store this in the casserole dish in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for up to 5 days. You can reheat this in the microwave, and pop it in the toaster oven to broil for a few minutes so the corn flakes can get crispy.