I love making smashed potatoes because they are just SO easy. No chopping up potatoes required. Simply cook and smash some red potatoes and add in yummy toppings. It doesn't get much easier than that! These Bacon Cheddar Ranch Smashed Potatoes make the perfect side dish and cook up in just 30 minutes. Your family will ask for them again and again! Still looking for more yummy potato ideas? Check out these Air Fryer Cajun Potatoes. These Coca Cola Baked Beans also make a wonderful side dish!
Why these smashed potatoes with cheese and bacon are awesome
- Crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside
- The cheese and bacon takes this side dish to the next level
- A change from traditional mashed potatoes
If you are looking a more traditional mashed potato recipe, try these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
- red potatoes
- ranch dressing mix
- shredded cheddar cheese
How to make smashed potatoes with cheese
Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Clean the potatoes and slice them in half.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and boil the potatoes until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Next, you will place the potato halves onto the baking sheet you prepped earlier. Using a potato masher, smash each potato flat.
Now it is time to make the yummy ranch butter for the potatoes. In a small bowl, combine butter and ranch dressing mix.
Pour the ranch butter mixture over the top of the smashed potatoes.
Bake the potatoes in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove them and sprinkle cheddar cheese and chopped crispy bacon over the top. Feel free to add more if you really love cheese and bacon. Then place the potatoes back into the oven and bake them for another 5 minutes.
Let the potatoes cool slightly before serving. You can optionally serve these with chopped parsley or chives as a garnish.
I just can't resist all that cheesy, bacony (is that a word?) goodness! Can you?
I love to make this smashed potatoes recipe with a burger as a twist on traditional fries. But however you serve them, they are delicious! Be sure to also check out our Easy Loaded Smashed Potatoes.
Bacon Cheddar Ranch Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds red potatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 strips bacon cooked and chopped
- Parsley for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by greasing with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and boil potatoes until tender, around 10 minutes.
- Place potato halves on prepared baking sheet. Using a fork or potato masher, smash each potato flat.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and ranch dressing mix. Spread the butter mixture over the top of the smashed potatoes.
- Bake potatoes for 15 minutes, the remove from oven and sprinkle cheese and chopped bacon over the top. Place potatoes back into the oven and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve with chopped parsley as a garnish (optional).
This nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using online calculators. Your nutritional information may vary depending on numerous factors.
Frequently asked questions
I like red potatoes, but Yukon gold potatoes and russet potatoes work well too.
Mashed potatoes are creamy because they are mashed with butter and milk. Smashed potatoes, on the other hand, are coated with olive oil and spices before being mashed slightly so more of the pulpy potato remains, including the skin.
These go great with a burger or a fried buttermilk chicken sandwich.