Spring is in the air and that means soon we'll be seeing butterflies dotting the outdoor landscape. My kids love looking for different varieties of butterflies in our neighborhood, so I knew they would love this Cupcake Wrapper Butterfly Craft. It is one of our favorite spring crafts because it is easy to make and personalize in lots of different ways. Be sure to also check out How to Make a Paper Butterfly.
🦋Why this paper butterfly craft is so much fun
- Easy for kids to make - since it just uses a few simple supplies. No scissors!
- Fun way to celebrate spring
- It makes a fun spring decoration.
This craft requires adult supervision.
- Cupcake Wrappers - in a variety of designs. For spring I like using pastel colors.
- Googly Eyes - You can get these in a variety of colors.
- Clothespins - I used wood clothespins, but you can also use plastic clothespins in colors.
- Glue - White glue like Elmer's craft glue.
📋Step by Step Instructions
STEP 1: Glue a pair of googly eyes to the top of a clothespin using a couple of drops of glue.
STEP 2: Flatten two cupcake wrappers. These will form the butterfly's wings so you want some wrappers that are vibrant and colorful.
STEP 3: Place the cupcake wrappers side by side, so they slightly overlap in the center.
STEP 4: Clip the clothespin in the center of the cupcake wrappers and fluff each wrapper to create wings.
Try creating numerous cupcakes using different colored wrappers to add interest.
This craft is perfect for kids who love butterflies since they can do most of the steps themselves. No matter the weather, you can enjoy the beauty of butterflies!
Tip 1: Getting colored googly eyes for this cupcake liner craft, makes the butterflies stand out more.
Tip 2: Opening the clothespin helps kids practice their fine motor skills.
Can you paint the clothespins before making the butterfly?
If your kids are feeling especially creative, they can paint the clothespins before they glue on the googly eyes.
Can I add antennas to this cupcake liner butterfly craft?
Yes, you can use pipe cleaners to make the butterfly's antennae. Just poke holes through the top of the cupcake line and twist a short section of pipe cleaner through.
🎨Got a Crafty Kid?
The folks at Annie's know crafting, so you know they have put together some amazing kits for your kids.
The Creative Girls Club subscription box will get your girl's creative juices flowing. Girls get two kits each month full of crafting fun. Best of all, the crafting can be done with minimal adult supervision. While she is creating, she will be learning valuable skills such as painting, beading, stitching, paper crafting, and much more!
For boys and girls:
These Young Woodworkers Kits have everything your little builder needs to create crafts and toys they can enjoy, while learning important woodworking skills along the way. Your child's first three kits will include 5 kid-sized, high-quality tools they'll use again and again. A new woodworking project is delivered every four weeks, with a new and exciting skill to master. Each project teaches a real world skill that kids will use for years to come.
Cupcake Wrapper Butterfly Craft
- Glue a pair of googly eyes to the top of a clothespin.
- Flatten two cupcake wrappers. These will form the wings of the butterfly so you want some wrappers that are vibrant and colorful.
- Place the cupcake wrappers side by side, so they slightly overlap in the center.
- Clip the clothespin in the center of the cupcake wrappers and fluff each wrapper to create wings.
- Getting colored googly eyes for this cupcake liner craft, makes the butterflies stand out more.
- Opening the clothespin helps kids practice their fine motor skills.