My husband and I love apple crisp. Our favorite apple crisp was from a chain called Uno Pizzaria that we used to visit in NY. They had a dessert called the All American, which was basically apple crisp and vanilla ice cream with little American flags stuck in it. Because anything is better with mini American flags. We haven't been to an Uno's since we left NY, but we still have fond memories of the All American. We have tried many apple crisps since then and none has been as good. We have made great apple desserts like Apple Crescents, but I have never been able to find something that tastes as good as our favorite restaurant dessert. Until I made this Easy Apple Crisp.
Easy Apple Crisp
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and core apples, then slice thinly. I love my OXO Good Grips Apple Corer for this job. So easy! If you are looking for something that peels and cores at the same time check this thing out. It even works on potatoes!
For this recipe you will need 5 cups of apples. I can't really tell you what kind of apples I used in this recipe. When we moved into our current house, there was an apple tree in the yard, but we haven't been able to figure out what kinds of apples it produces. Friends and neighbors have offered various guesses, but we are really not sure. Any type of apple you would use in an apple pie that would hold up well during baking would work well with this recipe.
Put the apples in a large zip top bag and add ½ cup white sugar, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 ½ teaspoons of flour. Zip bag and shake to coat all the apples evenly.
Pour the coated apples into a pie plate.
To make the topping, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and nutmeg in a bowl. Add the melted butter and mix until crumbs are formed.
Generously sprinkle the crumbs over the apples.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
Your house will smell amazing. Kids will come out of the woodwork to discover what is creating the heavenly scent.
You know you're going to have to share this, right? It is best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. If you have some mini American flags on hand, stick them in the ice cream because this easy apple crisp recipe is as good as our restaurant favorite.
Easy Apple Crisp
Easy Apple Crisp - This simple recipe will wow your family and taste better than you'd find at a restaurant.Print Pin Rate
- 5 cups of apples sliced thin this recipe works with a variety of apples, particularly firm and crisp apples like granny smiths
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons of flour
- For topping:
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of flour
- ½ cup quick cook oats
- ⅛ teaspoon of baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon of baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ cup of melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and core apples, then slice thinly.
- Put the apples in a large zip top bag and add ½ cup white sugar, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 ½ teaspoons of flour. Zip bag and shake to coat all the apples evenly.
- Pour the coated apples into a pie pan.
- To make the topping, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and nutmeg in a bowl. Add the melted butter and mix until crumbs are formed.
- Generously sprinkle the crumbs over the apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 72mg | Potassium: 134mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 3.6mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.8mg
If you enjoyed this easy apple crisp, you will love: